Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So :cool: That's the ticket,
my dog wants one so he can ride with me and I really hate to disappoint my dog.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,880 Posts
You will need some tiedown straps to carry anything on that.

·
On The Road Again!
3,951 Posts
Very cool...
But...
Doesn't look like it can be street legal, so it must have just been parked there for the photo.

·
Registered
Honda CB500S
66 Posts
Bloody awesome rig! Very nice!

Are left-handed sidecars rarer in Canada?

I ask because here in the UK (where we drive on the left) only antique (i.e. registered before 01/08/1981) can have right-hand sidecars. All bikes registered since then must have them on the left.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bloody awesome rig! Very nice!

Are left-handed sidecars rarer in Canada?

I ask because here in the UK (where we drive on the left) only antique (i.e. registered before 01/08/1981) can have right-hand sidecars. All bikes registered since then must have them on the left.
Posted that for you actually, you said you like side hacks.
That one was built in England and exported to somebody in the USA last I read.
If I build one for street it would be on the other side, but it really wouldn't make much difference imho they would ride the same lol or close enough.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might even be happening to my K100RS some day. The K bike would make a great candidate for a kneeler :cool:

·
Registered
Honda CB500S
66 Posts
If I build one for street it would be on the other side, but it really wouldn't make much difference imho they would ride the same lol or close enough.
Ahhh thanks so much! I appreciate it!

No idea how it is on your side of the pond, but in the UK having having the driver on the right hand side of the vehicle can be very useful (for cars and sidecar rigs too). This is because it helps to be able to peak around a vehicle you may want to overtake to look for oncoming vehicles, without needing to poke half of your vehicle out. (This is for single lane roads of course, which are very common here.) I believe this is the reason behind the law regarding right hand sidecars.

Here's a drawing I just did to hopefully make what I'm saying clearer, as I feel I haven't explained it well. Of course, here in the UK we drive on the left (i.e. the correct :sneaky:) side of the road.

Of course you can see it's much easier to peak around the car ahead. Also, I dropped art at 13 for a reason... feel free to have a laugh (or three) out of my image, I know I have! :ROFLMAO:

I've heard people want to overturn the UK's RHS sidecar law, the only reason I can think of is because people want to buy a standard Ural, I don't think you can get a driven sidecar wheel on the UK version, though I may be mistaken.

·
Premium Member
9,323 Posts
I am not sure of the actual law. All the sidecars I have seen are on the RH side in BC Canada. My car is bolted to an XS1100, which makes it faster than any others I have seen. UK

Attachments

·
Registered
Honda CB500S
66 Posts
I am not sure of the actual law. All the sidecars I have seen are on the RH side in BC Canada. My car is bolted to an XS1100, which makes it faster than any others I have seen. UK
Very nice, looks like you're using it as a real workhorse too!

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,710 Posts
here in the UK we drive on the left (i.e. the correct :sneaky:) side of the road.
I was born and raised here in the states and to be perfectly honest, I agree with you. You drive in a clockwise mode if you think about it. We are driving in a counter-clockwise mode. I have no idea why unless we just had to be different since we kicked British rule out of our life way back there. Anyone know if there is a logical reason to our righthand side of the road driving?

Edit: Did a little search and got this story...
Left or right?

Reactions: Ollie4

·
Registered
Honda CB500S
66 Posts
I was born and raised here in the states and to be perfectly honest, I agree with you. You drive in a clockwise mode if you think about it. We are driving in a counter-clockwise mode. I have no idea why unless we just had to be different since we kicked British rule out of our life way back there. Anyone know if there is a logical reason to our righthand side of the road driving?

Edit: Did a little search and got this story...
Left or right?
That's genuinely quite interesting actually. I heard once that the UK drove on the left as women would traditionally sit facing left on the horse, (without straddling, as they would be wearing dresses), so getting off on the side of the pavement was better for them, who knows though!

When I said the originally said the correct side, I was of course just having a laugh, but maybe there is some logic to it after all.

In summer I'm hopefully going to be going to Europe and driving there for the first time, so I'll get a taste for the RHS of the road.

·
Premium Member
9,323 Posts
The first switch is the hardest. After that it is not so bad.
The sword story is not believable for me. A right handed person would have the sword on their left, with the opposition to their right for easier dissecting. Mounting a horse on the left, the sword would get in the way, if worn on the right. We still mount bikes from the left. Some calf ropers exit and mount from the right, but that is for function. Henry Ford discovered the starter motor and steering box required room in the same area. Working on either was a problem in NZ, with the early Fords.
Some genius has claimed that more mini whirlwinds are created by right hand side driving. UK

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some genius has claimed that more mini whirlwinds are created by right hand side driving. UK
That depends on being in the northern or southern hemisphere :LOL: when you pull the plug in the sink does the water spin clock-wise or counter-clockwise?

·
Premium Member
9,323 Posts
That depends on being in the northern or southern hemisphere :LOL: when you pull the plug in the sink does the water spin clock-wise or counter-clockwise?
The sink or bath tub water is not a good test. The coriolis effect does not determine the water flow. UK

·
Premium Member
9,323 Posts
Water is about 800 times thicker than water. The coriolis effect, does move the air, as it is a large area and free.
The water in the tub is not affected by the coriolis effect. The shape of the tub, the angle / level of the tub, could have an effect.
BUT, one day the water will drain clockwise, the next day anti clockwise. The video guy said we would need thousands of tests. And I would conclude, it would be a waste of time.
Who has spent time in the North and South and checked? UK

·
Registered
Honda CB500S
66 Posts
I'd just like to apologize to Trials for utterly derailing his thread :ROFLMAO:

Do you have any plans to build one a street one?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts