1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
It absolutely does make a difference. There is scientific proof of it. But as you already know about Texas when it comes to hot, you might not notice the difference. But you can take your colored helmet and a white one and put a thermometer under each and see the difference yourself. It's a valid claim, white is less hot. Notice I didn't say cooler. Being cool is in the eye of the beholder.:grin: You can, when at a rally or dealer open house or anytime an artist is around, have some graphics or fancy pin-stripping added to your white helmet to make it a little cooler.:wink2:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,328 Posts
Set a white helmet and a black helmet outside in direct sunlight, leave them there for say an hour and then 'feel' them and it will be very apparent which color is cooler.:grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
Nightfly
4,623 Posts
This should not even be a question. Real riders don't worry about the heat, they only worry about style. Classic black helmet is the timeless look, beautiful but simple, and fits perfectly with the entire leather gear setup. Yep, 98 degrees, all black leather gear, black helmet, gloves.... What could be more righteous.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Getting another Schuberth C3 Pro helmet. This time in the correct size. No color matches my bike so I'm thinking white or black.
Our local shop had a good offer on plain white or black Shoei helmets. I couldn't afford the
substantially higher price for the same model with fancy graphics, so I was left with the
same choice as you: black or white? I chose white because I often ride the bike
at night and white will be a lot more visible than black or the even worse option
of matte black.

For hot weather would white be cooler than black or does it make any difference?
Black gets very hot in direct sunlight. Remember when it was fashionable for
cars to have black vinyl roofs?

$381.22 at this place. I paid $800 for my last one. Hoping it's not a fake.
A quick search for previous customer reviews suggests they are legit. If possible
pay by PayPal and use a credit card to make the payment. This gives two additional
layers of fraud protection.

The company is based in The Netherlands. Their website is long established and
seems to be hosted in NL, so I don't think you will have any problems. If you are
in the US, you might want to check that the helmet is approved to US DOT standards.

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
This should not even be a question. Real riders don't worry about the heat, they only worry about style. Classic black helmet is the timeless look, beautiful but simple, and fits perfectly with the entire leather gear setup. Yep, 98 degrees, all black leather gear, black helmet, gloves.... What could be more righteous.
102 degrees, all black leathers, one piece, black leather boots, black gloves, BUT, I failed, my helmet was white.
My latest open face helmet for the summer is black.

UK

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,328 Posts
Heat Stroke:surprise:

One year at my Harley Clubs fund raiser event, in SoCal in July, in 98 degree weather, all of our club members had our stenciled Black T-shirts on and myself and a dozen others were walking security on the perimeter, in direct sunlight and it felt terrible! The black Baseball caps and those BLACK T-shirts almost couldn't be touched:sad:

We walked over to a vendor's stall and all of the white T-shirts there were only slightly warm to the touch:smile_big:

I agree that the classic black is where it's at:smile_big:

Sam:grin:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info, thanks everyone. I'm getting white. Almost got the red & black one to match my red & black bike. Well, looked sort of red. Turns out it's orange & black. White is cheaper too so, white it is. Gets 110+ degrees here July & August. I've seen 117.

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
Curses, you're not allowed in my club UK. I'll bet you had white socks on too... Damn, how'd I know that?.. Grin....
Good grief!
I have white socks on today.
It is time to switch to the summer gear, which is the leather jacket over a T shirt. Spats / gators over the bottom of my jeans, thinner gloves, summer boots and the open face helmet. I keep a variety of goggles and wind screen, depending on the conditions, and which bike I am on. Meanwhile the regular boots are getting new soles, so I can get some grip.

For the OP. All my early helmets were white.
These days some are black, one is grey, and one is blue. I still have my white Bell from the seventies. I am going to work on the inside lining, and wear it now and then. I primarily want to check it for wind noise, as I am sure it is quieter than the newer ones.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Good info, thanks everyone. I'm getting white. Almost got the red & black one to match my red & black bike. Well, looked sort of red. Turns out it's orange & black. White is cheaper too so, white it is. Gets 110+ degrees here July & August. I've seen 117.
I've stood several 112º flag lines. Might not qualify as righteous but family that requested us was truly thankful. I don't have anything dark on days like that. Not even blue jeans. I wear some light tan firehose Docker type pants from Duluth. Heck my boots aren't even black but brown. I started this light color stuff after watching a PGR member pass-out wearing his black t-shirt, blue jeans and blue cap. And it was only 101º that day. The humidity was higher that day though. Humidity is the killer.

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
Clearly white or light colored is cooler, I compromised and got fluorescent yellow for my helmet, it's starting to fade a bit now after 2.5 years but when I got it it was so bright it hurt people's eyes.

Reactions: Juan_Banjovy

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Clearly white or light colored is cooler, I compromised and got fluorescent yellow for my helmet, it's starting to fade a bit now after 2.5 years but when I got it it was so bright it hurt people's eyes.
My last 2 helmets were hi vis yellow, I wish it were still an option with Schuberth.

·
Ace Tuner
3,772 Posts
My carbon fiber helmet only came in black. It's old now and past time to replace it.
I'll probably go for silver next time.

I've had white, black, multi color. All are hot. The venting we have these days is a big help.
A black helmet and a white helmet setting in the sun... Black, HOT to the touch, white not so much.
That hot sun, heating the shell, can't be good for longevity of the helmet.
But in the wind that black shell does not get nearly so hot. Then think of the massive amount of insulation between your head and the outer shell of the helmet.
Not really that much difference between shell colors, in the wind.

Now a black tee shirt is a whole different ball game.
And a black leather jacket on a cold sunny day sure does feel good, when you're sitting still.

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
Yep, it's important to look good when lying on the gurney in the emergency room
after passing out in the heat! :devil:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts