1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
On The Road Again!
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
American Legion Rider
18,917 Posts
Wow! Would have liked to ride along on that little journey.
I can just image the speeds they had to run to average the
resulting average speed. It certainly wasn't a pleasure ride.

·
Visionary
2,978 Posts
Their top speed was 193 MPH, average of 103! For almost 3000 miles. Without a ticket. Holy CRAP!
That's impressive! I wonder what the record is for a bike..not that I'd be trying that!
Best I ever did was on my Bun Burner Gold, 1536 miles , average speed of 67 mph, top speed 92. My range is less so I made more stops but still, I can't imagine pushing it much past the 70s for an average.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I thought I done pretty good crossing Kansas some years back. I was driving my diesel pickup pulling a 5th wheel trailer. Managed an average speed of just over 50 MPH.

Can't remember if that was on I-70 or US 400. Was probably the interstate.

·
On The Road Again!
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Their top speed was 193 MPH, average of 103! For almost 3000 miles. Without a ticket. Holy CRAP!
That's impressive! I wonder what the record is for a bike..not that I'd be trying that!
Best I ever did was on my Bun Burner Gold, 1536 miles , average speed of 67 mph, top speed 92. My range is less so I made more stops but still, I can't imagine pushing it much past the 70s for an average.
I figured you'd like that, Mike! LOL!!!
With the fuel cell in the trunk, they only made four fuel stops
between NY and California!
Now let's see how long it takes before someone breaks that record.
The previous guys who did it in 2013 thought no one would EVER break their record.
These guys didn't break the record, they smashed it...by and hour and a half!!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,623 Posts
I drove from San Francisco to New York in just over 44 hours with another sailor. I was being transferred from a ship in WesPac and he was coming home on leave before going to a Navy training school. He had a highly modified 70 Mach 1 Mustang. That was a hard drive, stopping every 3 hours to fill that thirsty beast, switching drivers and taking potty breaks. We had to stop for 4 hours outside of Chicago and sleep, we were worn out. Mustang seats neither front or back are very comfortable to sleep in.

·
American Legion Rider
18,917 Posts
I'm not sure if I didn't encounter those guys some time back. I was headed home on the interstate doing 85mph passing everyone like they were doing 55mph, speed limit is 75mph here, when two cars passed me like I was parked. I bumped it up 95mph to watch how long they kept it up but they were out of my sight in a flash. I expected cops in pursuit at first so I didn't step up my speed for a few seconds so when I pushed it up to 95mph they were already well ahead on me so again I expected cops to jump on them at any time but it never happen. And this stretch of road normally has at least 2 cops patrolling and sometimes 4 as they love catch folks with marijuana. That's why I only push 85mph when I have my radar detector turned on and I did that day. Those guys were flying.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts