Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hello there. If your reading this then I can't wait for you guys to answer some of these questions. Please note, I am doing a study on the biker culture for a college paper and some of the questions and answers I will be using, in my study!! If you just are wanting to post on this thread then please say you don't want your information to be used. If you don't mind for your information to be used, but don't want your real name or you want to use your real name to be used then please let me know.

My study is to help disprove most of the stories people hear about bikers. My family is a big family of bikers and most of the stereotypes I hear are wrong. The thing that you will talk about will help me further disprove these stereotypes. Thank you in advance for participating in my study!!!

First off here are some questions that I would love for you to answer!!

What made you decide to buy your first bike?

When did you join your biker family? Where did you meet them?

How long have you been riding?

What kind of things do you and your biker family do for the community? Why?

How much of the profit goes to the community/organization?

What is your basic day like as a biker?

If there is anything else you would like to talk about the biker life in this thread then do so. Just make sure you let me know weather or not you would like for your information to be used!!

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts

I'll admit, when gas prices started going up a few years ago, I finally got a bike. I had wanted one for a few years but couldn't justify the expense. As for why I wanted to start riding, who knows? Probably the same reason I decided I wanted to play musical instruments. It certainly wasn't in order to be a part of some exclusive culture.

Biker family? I don't have one. I'm a one man wolfpack!

Almost 4 years.

See above.

n/a

No different than when I'm driving my car. I wake up, get dressed, go to class, come home, and go to bed.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Growing up I always admired the big bearded harley davidson riders.. I thought they were so extreme. When I was 20 my car was written off by the insurance company and I was infuriated by cars and their associated cost. Immediately I started looking for a bike and i was hooked.

I am still looking and earning my respect among the community.

2 years

I have participated in local charity rides with bikers from all over my region... Toy runs and other children charities benefitting.

n/a

Better than a car... wake up, look out the window and smile! even if its pooring rain, the excitment is incredible.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Ever since i stood next to an Indian Chief at the age of about 2, there was never any doubt i would have a motorcycle. It was just a matter of deciding what.

You must ride a Harley. "Biker Family" indeed.

Over 40 years now

What the hell has the "community" ever done for me? I help individuals when I see a need- like mowing a neighbors yard or bring the old lady 2 doors down some dinner. It's got nothing to do with motorcycles, though.
I do love the Toy Run, though.

Stop already!

I eat Cheetos and watch TV while waiting for drug customers to call.

I'm afraid I find this alleged survey quite irritating. It will gather no useful information to use. Some years ago, an insurance company got some interesting stats on motorcycle folks, like they're more likely to write poetry and cry at the movies.
Most riders do so alone, BTW.

It would be more fun if you came up with a questionaire that wasn't so obviously biased and more far-reaching. This is like reporting on grade school kids by asking what's their favorit crayon colour. I really doubt that's going to tell you much.

·
DOG YELLER
338 Posts
The adrenaline kick I got from riding a friend's scooter around the block.

I met mine at the church I attended.

27 years

What kind of things do you and your biker family do for the community?
We are a motorcycle small group. We have fun riding our bikes and spread the Word of God when appropriate.

Minimal

?

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
I have ALWAYS wanted a motorcycle, ever since I left my daddy's left nut.

I'm a Lone Wolf. I affiliate with no one, and I get along with most.

Legally, a couple years. Before that, on and off since I was a kid stealing my brother's moped.

What biker family? (see previous post) I do ride in the Toy Run UBM puts on every year that Govn'r Balless-dachi would lead (sorry you effin twit of a supposed State elected official, but $30,000 and 30 miles does NOT make you a biker.)
Why do I ride in the Toy Run. Cause it's for a good cause. (that and I hoped to see Baldachi stall his bike at a stop and drop it, the ignorant fool)

Irrelevolant. aqnd if it did have relevance, how the hell would I know, I'm a biker, not an accountant.

I get up, piss, have coffee. If it is warm, I ride. If it is cold, I do other stuff. (such as being an @sshole here) Basically, my day is just like anyone else's. I deal with all the Drama Llamas out there that life vomits at me and I go about my business.

If there is anything else you would like to talk about the biker life in this thread then do so. Just make sure you let me know weather or not you would like for your information to be used!!
I gather that the most you have learned in the past about bikers is watching American Chopper, Sons of Anarchy, and maybe Easy Rider. (though I doubt the last because most kids out there disdain any of the classics) It shows in how your questions have been written.

If you wish to learn about the average motorcycle rider, then I suggest that maybe you start by taking the MSF course and learn to ride. Then get yourself a motorcycle. I would suggest maybe a Honda Rebel or Nighthawk, or something similiar. If you do not have any mechanical experience, I suggest you start by learning all you can and start doing your own maintainence on your new ride.

Make friends with those who ride. Hang out with them once in a while. Maybe join some of them on a ride now and then.

You will learn a lot this way, not only about the culture you are enquiring about, but yourself as well.

You will discover that motorcyclists come in many flavors from ALL walks of life. I have known them to be doctors, lawyers, students, construction workers, librarians, teachers, police officers, firefighters, and servicemen and women, just to give an example. Quite a few of them are brilliant. One friend designs video games. (you know who you are, correct me if I am in error on that) Another friend wrote a book.

And some are morons. And some are trolls.

As I said, the culture comprises all kinds.

Yes, you may use my information which I have given here. If you wish for a more indepth interview, PM me, and I am sure that it can be arranged.

Justin P. "Animedevildog" Emery, USMC (1991-1995)

·
Super Moderator
6,294 Posts
First off I am a female. I was learning to have fun as a single person again, my son was grown, I dated a person with a bike and we traveled 14k miles on his bike, I fell in love with motorcycling. I took it very serious, took a class, purchased my own cycle, and learn how to work on it myself. Now, after three years I ride 12K miles/yr and I hope 20K this year!

Well I wouldn't say I have a "family" I would say maybe "step family" where we meet each other and have fun, then go home. Most of the time I ride by myself or just a few close friends.

Three years

I have been to a couple of rides for a children's hospital ...

100%

Wake up, get dressed, walk the dog, get geared up, ride to work some mornings, after work, take the "long way" home and get back by dusk to let the dog out again!
During the summer it is get geared up, pack for a long trip, grab the camera, down the road....all summer meeting new people and just seeing beautiful sights!!!
weather or not
whether or not:wink:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts

My first bike was a minibike given to me when I was 8 years old.

Not sure exactly what this means. The male side of my family has always had an interest in riding- my grandfather rode when he was younger, until he had an accident. My dad rode when he was a teenager, then when I started riding, he got back into it again.

But if you mean not my actual family but a group of riding buddies or a club, I'm a lone wolf.

13, almost 14 years now.

I haven't done anything in my capacity as a biker. I've done things through school and my gun club.

Again, nothing in my capacity as a biker. Any money raising I've done through school and the gun club usually involves fundraising for the organization, so money goes to both the organization and the community.

Ride 3-4 hours to and from work or school... at this time I'm so busy with work and school that when I do have free time, it's just enough to do whatever maintenance I need to do, then it's back to the grind.

Feel free to use this information.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
What made you decide to buy your first bike? I wasn’t old enough to drive a car so I bought a Honda 90 at 15 ½.

I joined a Club in the 60s in Oakland, California, was a bad choice.

Since 1963, took an 8 year break from riding.

Some charity runs and because they are worthwhile and give back a little.

What profit

I must believe most of us are like anyone else. We go to work, do the family thing, ride for a variety of reasons, take vacations and pretty much live like the rest of our peers. You can not stereotype bikers, they are as diverse as any other group of people. It would be like trying to stereotype the average motorist, can’t do it.

There is the common love of riding. The willingness to be aware of the inherit dangers, but not be effected by them.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Well hello there. If your reading this then I can't wait for you guys to answer some of these questions. Please note, I am doing a study on the biker culture for a college paper and some of the questions and answers I will be using, in my study!! If you just are wanting to post on this thread then please say you don't want your information to be used. If you don't mind for your information to be used, but don't want your real name or you want to use your real name to be used then please let me know.

My study is to help disprove most of the stories people hear about bikers. My family is a big family of bikers and most of the stereotypes I hear are wrong. The thing that you will talk about will help me further disprove these stereotypes. Thank you in advance for participating in my study!!!

I come from a riding family my dad bought it for me when I was 6.
I was born into the only group I consider family.

41 years

N/A

Mon.-Fri. work and weather permitting hit the roads with friends on the weekends.

For me riding was just cheap transportation for the longest time. Only recently have I been riding more for recreation. The stereotypes that are given to bikers such as the misconception that we all belong to clubs are interesting as I personally know very few that fit them.

Regards:
Joe Brunk
Auto Technician/ Auto repair facility owner

·
Malevolent Savant
2,088 Posts
I needed transportation and it was way cheaper than a car.

do not have a "biker family". I have friends and family that ride, though.

Illegallaly on & off for the past 20+ years

I help out those I can and who I deem fit who need it.

depends on how much of a thief is running the organization

Hit snooze 3 or 4 times. Spank the wife. Dress the kid. Drop off kid, go to work, pick up kid. Eat dinner. put kid to bed. Spank wife. Rinse and repeat.

Those who ride bikes are like any others who are part of a "community". Some are gung-ho; some are lackadaisical, others do not give a flying rats rear-end. As with most stereotypes, there is a modicum of truth. But, to put blind faith in that sterotype means that you're just lazy, ignorant, and a waste of flesh and oxygen.

Regards,
Scrumdown

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey!!

I have realized that some of my question's weren't the best to ask. I guess that's what I get for being in a hurry, so I have come up with a few more and I'm going to reword some.

If you are part of a biker family, when did you join them? What made you pick this family?

If you participate in any charity runs or anything for the community, what is it that you participate in? Why did you choose to participate in any of these events?

What is your craziest, most exciting day like as a biker?

If you would like to, share one of your most memorable moments, weather it was on the road, a day at the bike shop, at a rally, or anything in between.

If you have anything else to say, then say it!!

Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
3,841 Posts

I really took to two wheels from bicycles on. Rode off road at a rental part and bought an off road bike, staying mostly off road for the first five years, racing flat track, harescrambles, and riding trials.

I didn't join a "biker family". I ran around with some friends who rode and some who didn't. The guys I mainly ride with now I met up with by selling motorcycles for a living for 7 years. That "family" thing is one of the biggest stereotypes out there. A lot of us are just regular people who really enjoy riding motorcycles. Sure it's a part of our lives, but so is driving a car and I don't have a "car family".

I've been riding for over 45 years if you count riding friends' mini-bikes and scooter.

I haven't really participated in the motorcycle community thing, just hasn't fallen in place. I do UW, church, and other charitable contributions. It isn't about being a contributing biker, it's about being a contributing member of the community.

I don't live a biker's life, I live my life and ride. It's just part of my life, not the definition of my life. My life is defined by far more than the fact that I have ridden a lot.

I'm thinking you're missing out on at least 50% of the riding public with this "biker culture" and "biker family" thing. At least 50% of the people riding are relatively unassuming people who lead relatively normal lives without the trappings of the "biker culture". You can't look at them and see they ride. Those are the neighbors and co-workers who surprise people when they learn that they ride. One of the most fun things in my riding is when, as a teacher, my students realize that's my helmet and my bike (dual sport or standard sporting bike) in the parking lot. There are too many good times with the riding to have any one or two or ten things come to mind as the most special.

You need to broaden your paper to look at the motorcycle riding public, not just the "biker culture". Not all of us are in the "lifestyle", we just have an alternate form of transportation and fun... motorcycles.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Well these are better...but still.
"bought"? I traded for a truck, I had a new truck on order, missed riding and had the opportunity to trade. My very first bike and my current bike weren't bought(and not stolen)
Motorcycles? on and off about 26 years.(more off than on)
If you are part of a biker family, when did you join them? What made you pick this family?
Aren't we all part of the "biker" family? Just as we are all God's children. Riding is just a common bond.
If you participate in any charity runs or anything for the community, what is it that you participate in? Why did you choose to participate in any of these events?
Whenever I can, reason isn't important as long as it's really a charity, not a bar hop.
What is your craziest, most exciting day like as a biker?
Probably the days I am out with some friends, sun-up till sun-down. Following each other trying to figure out how to get home because we're lost on some back roads.
If you would like to, share one of your most memorable moments, weather it was on the road, a day at the bike shop, at a rally, or anything in between.
When my battery died on the road, without it I couldn't use any more electricity than needed to run bike. Not even brake light. So I had to ride home without using the brake, (had a friend following in car) Didn't think to unplug the light until almost home.

I have to ask where you are hearing the stories? Don't trust anyone if they weren't there themselves. Any stories about "one percenters" are most often just that-stories. Any that are true, you must remember why they are called ONE PERCENTERS. They only make up about one percent of the riding population.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

What you should be asking is club affiliations, not family. There are a wide variety of clubs from the Christian Motorcycle Association to the Hells Angles and many in-between. For me I’m associated with the Christian motorcycle group because I like the people associated with it and some of the charity work that they do.

I have participated in a variety of charity runs, I especially like the ones that reach out to help children and families in need.

What is your craziest, most exciting day like as a biker? Too old to do the crazy thing anymore, exciting is getting home without some cage trying to kill me.

For me it is riding through Yosemite park, to me there is nothing like it. But riding coast highway one in California is a close second.

·
Dr. Seuss was right about everything.
114 Posts
I ride a small-displacement sportbike (Ninja 250). I decided to start riding to save gas on my 30-minute-one-way commute to work each day. Since my bike gets about triple the gas mileage that my car does, it helps cut weekly expenses a lot. I ride because it's fun, it puts me more in tune with my environment, and it's all around more efficient than driving a car (space, parking, fuel, maneuverability, insurance costs, etc). The ride home from work also helps clear my mind of any stresses from the job so I can be refreshed to interact positively with my wife and kids.

I've just been riding for two months, so I've still got a good bit to learn. I don't really have a "biker family", since I only know two other bikers. I go to church with them, but we never really ride together.

Two months.

Nothing, since I don't belong to any clubs or organizations. For me biking is a great mode of transportation and a bit of a hobby, but not a lifestyle. I also enjoy playing chess, but I'm not going to go out and join a chess club.

n/a

Pretty much like anyone else's, except I think I get a little more enjoyment out of it. I leave a little earlier for work when I'm riding, because I can ride safer when I'm not in a hurry. I wear full protective gear except for armored pants(still saving up). When at work I have a little extra to look forward to when my shift is done, and sometimes I take the long way home for the fun of it. I take pride in being a responsible rider, not a "squid", and do my best to keep the law despite people's expectations of my sporty-looking bike. (Yesterday someone yelled from their car, "Do a burnout!" Right. Are you buying me new tires?)

You can use my answers if you want. Have fun writing that paper!
Dan
Restaurant manager, musician, husband, father of two.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Before I answer your questions here is a resource you might be interested in:
[email protected]
One of his papers;
http://www.qualitativesociologyreview.org/ENG/Volume13/QSR_5_2_Austin.pdf
Mark Austin is an Associate Professor at U of Louisville and writes about the motorcycle culture. I've found his papers facinating!

The cool factor.
Biker family? I have a lot of friends I ride with, most I've met through M/C forums.

38 years.

I go on a couple of fund raiser rides each year. Most of my community service is done off the bike.

I'm the Utah Chairman for the Armed Forces Freedom Ride this year;
http://utahfreedomride.webs.com/

100% of the profit will go to the Wounded Warrior Project.

If you mean on trips, I try to ride 200 - 500 miles a day, site-seeing takes a back seat to riding.

I'm not into the "Biker Lifestyle". Rather, it's a hobby I don't buy certain clothes or color or brand. For me it's all about putting on the miles.

If your interested, here is my travel blog;
http://2mbstonestravels.blogspot.com/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts