Motorcycle Forum banner

Food and Water On Your Bike - Do You?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have a way to drink on the move? (Assume non-alcoholic for this discussion)

If so, what is your method?

How about snacks?

Some discussion might provide some good ideas for everyone. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
699 Posts
No. Full face helmet. Anytime I need a drink or snack, my butt needs a rest from the seat anyway. I keep snacks and water in the saddlebags, though.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Got a bottle carrier for water. Some goes inside and some goes outside. Makes a mess of the windshield(soon is gone) but it's better than passing out in the heat.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
I often carry a bottle of water and a bag of trailmix in a saddlebag. I don't partake while at speed, it's just nice to have handy. I make a point of drinking and eating a little at each fuel stop at the very least. It's part of the fuel up routine.
- Fuel the bike
- drink some water and eat a snack
- clean windshield (if needed)
- slather on more sunscreen.
- back on the road

Heck, often I throw in an MRE if I am heading out for a full day solo ride. Just in case I come across a nice park or scenic overlook and want to have lunch out in nature.

·
8,606 Posts
I carry water in those plastic bottles and when I get gas if thirsty, I get a cold drink like tea or Gatorade.

Once in a great while I will buy a bag of beef jerky and fill my mouth.

On my past Electra Glide there was a perfect spot behind the windshield for a quart bottle of water, which was cool.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jo6pak, I like that assortment you carry. :thumbsup:

Usually, I'll have some granola bars or the like for a little nourishment if needed and a spare bottle of water or two in the saddle bags.

For on the go, it seems like I get dried out easily and need a sip of water now and then. Mounted a bottle holder on the handlebars and picked up a Camelbak Podium water bottle that fits snugly. The Camelbak has a valve which can be set to on or off. Just stick in your mouth and give the bottle a squeeze and it squirts water in your mouth. Works very slick with NO mess. Mine is not insulated but they have insulated versions.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I carry both food and drink but they are not set up to use "on the go". When I need either one, I stop and make use of it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I carry coffee ( 2 cups ) in the morning and 2 bottles of water during the day. I have two cup / bottle holders, one one each side of handlebar. They were made for a bicycle but fit the VTX handlebar perfectly. Yellow arrows in the picture, about $4 each at Walmart. Shiny chrome-like metal too, shines like the high dollar ones but work a lot better, don't spin around on the bars, stays put.
holder.jpg

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I almost always carry water just in case, but it's only used when I stop. Snacks if I'm on a long trip. Usually I'll finish a bottle of water when I fuel up, and have some when I stop in the middle.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I have a hydration pack that I have used on longer rides. Just clip the straw where it can easily be accessed and drink as needed.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
I usually have an iced coffee with me when I ride, and I will also have a couple bottles of water in my pack, along with a box of granola bars. Normally, I do not need the water and snacks, because there usually is a place where I can stop somewhere, but I prefer to have them, in the event I need them. The iced coffee goes in the cup holder I made on the cheap.

G

·
I have a small cooler that looks like a regular bag I either attach to my passenger backrest on the Sabre or throw into my top compartment on the Goldwing. Nothing for on the go though. I just wait till I take a break.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Camelbak I use for both motorcycle and MTB. The tube is on the right which makes it a little hard to keep on the throttle while moving but makes for real easy access at stops. I'm having trouble finding a clip-on cup holder big enough for my tequila bottle.

I'd carry food if on a long point to point trip. Otherwise just find a place to eat and rest.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Small cooler bag, 3 insolated mugs. Fill them with ice water and put them in the cooler in one of the saddlebags. Never drank all 3 in a days ride.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
It beats grubs and tree roots doesn't it?:D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts