Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding in blinding conditions, dense fog in particular, is definitely not advisable. If you are dumb enough to do it, like me, I suggest you find a car to follow at a safe distance in case they crash ? Hopefully it's a hot chick you can rescue and start a relationship with. If you hit a downed tree/limb/roadkill in a dense fog you're gonna have a bad day. If you don't know the road I suggest trying to find a few cars to follow. Odds are they know the road better and won't accidentally blow through a stop sign or drive off a cliff.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Couldn't agree more. I got caught in a totally unexpected and very thick fog one morning, and I didn't like it a bit. It was out on a farm road that I knew well, which helped. I slowed way down and put my emergency flashers on. A local in a truck was courteous enough to stay a safe distance behind me, where I could just see his headlights, I think he was trying to kind of guard me from anyone coming up too fast behind. I was sure glad when I started coming out of that!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
In thick fog, I'll find a way to get off the road. That's if I am on the bike. I'm retired so I don't have to be anywhere, like at work. I have got caught in thick fog when I was driving cross country. I got in a line of semi trucks. If there was an accident, or anything else up ahead, truck drivers will know. They talk to each other on their CB radios.

It can leave you feeling like you'll be the meat in a semi sandwich but there's a chance the driver behind you already knows what's going on ahead of you.

·
American Legion Rider
26,018 Posts
Living in California for 20 years I got used to riding in very thick fog. I hated it but I rode in it anyway. Most truck drivers(18 wheelers) were always nice and would help if they could. It was the benefit of a CB on the bike so I'd give them a shout and ask if they minded if I tucked in behind them or if they'd protect me from behind. So many times I really was that meat in the sandwich but on purpose with good space between all of us.

Out there they have something they call tule fog. So a lot of the time a truck driver would be in the clear while I would be socked in. They could see the road relatively well. It's crazy stuff but I'd have to ride in it several times a week on the morning commute. So I used those truck drivers whenever possible. Communication was key. I'd know if I had a jerk anywhere around me rather quickly thanks to my CB. With the use of phones today I guess that wouldn't work as well but a lot of drivers still use CBs. But I do notice I don't get a reply to my "breaker, breaker" shout out nearly as much as I used to. But when I do get a reply I certainly appreciated it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts