Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Straight forward question can you weld floating disc to make it fixed? Reason they seem to fail on the connection between the 2 parts and still have a lot of wear left in the disc

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,440 Posts
Straight forward question can you weld floating disc to make it fixed? Reason they seem to fail on the connection between the 2 parts and still have a lot of wear left in the disc
Wouldn't that change the temper(hardness) of the metal?

Reactions: Ride365

·
Mod of the North
610 Posts
I am gonna say not easily off the top of my head. What bike are you talking about? The floating part allows the disc to move slightly and allow even pressure from both pads giving consistent and predictable braking. Changing calipers or modifying their mounts may be a consideration as well - either to resolve the premature wear of the floating discs or to accommodate the fixed discs.

Other issues like incorrect installation of spacers in the front wheel axle assembly may also cause misalignment that stresses the buttons under braking and prematurely wears them out.

·
Premium Member
10,601 Posts
If the disc floats, then usually the caliper is fixed. If both are fixed it probably will not work very well. Normally the disc is fixed and parts inside the caliper move. Or the caliper moves.
I had twin floating discs on a bike years ago. They would lock the front wheel at 130 plus, but faded. And I had problems with the O ring seals. So I junked the whole set up, and installed a large single disc. UK

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
No.

Even if you ignore the alignment issues you are working with completely different kinds of metal. Steel doesn't weld to cast aluminum very well.

·
Ace Tuner
4,344 Posts
Got some second hand. Anyone have a workshop manual, not sure if they used the heat red locktight like on more modern triumphs.
Red Loctite is not to be used on Anything that might Ever need to be removed. It is considered to be a non-removable, permanent thread locker.

S F

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.