Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a new bike 3 days ago. Today I took it put for a 150 ish mile ride. This evening I went in the grage to move my bike so I could back out my car. Found my rear tire was flat. I looked at the tire and saw a small hole with some skin over it. I'm not sure if it's a puncture or just a ding in the tire. The tire is tubless and my hands are in the air on what to do. Call the dealer for help, temp pacth anf take it to a tire shop, or tow it in..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree dods, I'm gonna go to the auto part store for a tubeless tire plug. I'm still 100 unsure on why it's flat

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Brand new bike?

I have never had a flat tire on a street bike, but a lot of guys say you should just replace them if it happens because there are only two and it can be bad news when they go at speed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes brand new as in 0 miles off the lot. If it's a slow leak I'm wondering if I can just use a small air compressor to fill it up and take it to a tire shop about 6 miles down the road

·
Registered
886 Posts
If you can pump the tire up a little above recommended pressure(ten or so psi above) then pour some water on the spot you can find out if that is the leak spot. If not then do the same around the rest of the tire including the rim or bead of the tire to find the leak and get an idea how fast the leak is. If you do find the leak find a way to mark it like a piece of tape on the rim near the leak.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
A little dish soap in the water will make it easier to find a slow leak. There has to be enough mixed in to create bubbles.

Air the tire up again and see how long it takes to run out of air. If it's really a slow leak that takes hours to show a difference, it should be ok for 6 miles.

If it's a bigger leak, I wouldn't risk riding it. Either remove the wheel or have it towed.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Next time remove the wheel from the bike and take it in. That will save you a good portion of that money, especially for a rear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts