Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a study on, or is there a report somewhere, that states how long it takes for "flat spots" to develop in tires?

I took my bike down off the lift last Saturday, and hope to take my first Spring ride on this coming Saturday, and I just wondered...............

-Soupy

·
Registered
13 Posts
I left my bike sitting in the same spot all winter, in a semi-enclosed parking garage (aka no climate control, bitter cold winter in NY). No flat spots at all. Granted, the tires were brand new in April 2014...if that matters at all.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had mine (as most of you know) up on a lift the whole "Winter," and only took it down last Saturday.

Just wasn't sure how long it would take b4 the "flat spots" would develop. I don't like to see the bike sitting there any longer than necessary.

-Soupy

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,129 Posts
23.1 hours in Ct

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
I'm now using lifts myself.....
That way i can start n run threw the gears threw the winter.....
I go threw 2 sets of rubber a year, so really don't worry about flat spots...LOL
But Winters are long up here.....
I hate it....

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm now using lifts myself.....
That way i can start n run threw the gears threw the winter.....
I go threw 2 sets of rubber a year, so really don't worry about flat spots...LOL
But Winters are long up here.....
I hate it....
Ok, FIRST off........my "lift" is under the frame. Tires are free to roll. So......if I wanted to (during the Winter) I COULD start it and run it thru the gears.

Secondly, I lived above Caribou, Maine for most of my youth. You wanna talk "Winter?!!!" I KNOW what "Winter" can be!!

Third: you go thru two sets a year (tires)????? What the frig are you doin?!!

-Soupy

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
I lived up there a short while myself....small world...
Lived in Houlton 5 years be4 the wife became a traveling Nurse...
Yepppp...ya get real winters up there.....
Down here in Southern maine we get about 2 -3 extra months of riding then u....
My lift/rear uses spools n the front goes into a hole under the tripple tree....

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I lived up there a short while myself....small world...
Lived in Houlton 5 years be4 the wife became a traveling Nurse...
Yepppp...ya get real winters up there.....
Down here in Southern maine we get about 2 -3 extra months of riding then u....
My lift/rear uses spools n the front goes into a hole under the tripple tree....
Go up to Caribou, and traval another 10 miles on 161, til you get to New Sweden (where the Arsenic poisonings happened a few years ago). Then you have hit MY neighborhood.

The snow would accumulate up so high that you couldn't see your front door, and had to dig a tunnel to the entrance.

I have a picture of my dog in the front yard, standing in front of the picture window of the Living Room, with only his weaner and his back feet showing, as he pee'd down between the glass and the snow!!

When the cars and buses couldn't run anymore, we took snowmobiles to school and work.

I go up there hunting each year, but likely not THIS year, since I've exhausted my "Vacation Time" already this year, with two trips to Florida from CT (where I am these days).

-Soupy

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
I'm still in Maine with Hopes to mave Back to florida in a few years.....
Love the Florida outdoors...
Hunting n fishing there is so great....
I'm from Millinocket Originally....
I can't do any winter sports now....
Old n broken.....

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
4 knee surgeries...still bad.
Ankle broke 3 times....metal holds that together.
2 Hernias, but repaired...
Nut surgery...Ouch....
Back fusions......Still recovering...
Shoulder surgery, but can't be fixed....
Pancrease problems, very strict diet...
Nose broke 4 times....Once by a fish...LOL
15 surgeries to date n counting......LOL
Ol n Broke alright.....
Hoping to ride this summer...n then go from there...
My tires are starting to feel a bit flat......LOL

·
Premium Member
7,852 Posts
Tyres tars

My XS400 sat for three years, in an area with only light freezing. The tyres are working fine.
Will put new ones on before next winter.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
Ok, FIRST off........my "lift" is under the frame. Tires are free to roll.
-Soupy
So, how can they get flat spots, if the tires aren't pressing against something?

BTW, tire makers recommend doing just what you do, take the weight off the tires during storage; they also recommend reducing the pressure by about half, to make the rubber last longer by resisting aging. For tires than can't be lifted, they also recommend increasing pressure to the sidewall maximum, to minimize flat-spotting. Of course, they also say to return them to operating pressures before use.

·
Premium Member
7,852 Posts
Tar pressure

I used to run my belch mobile through the clean air test. It always attracted a crowd of young volunteer wannabe mechanics.
First thing they would ask about and want to impress upon me was tyre pressure.
And that is usually where the trouble started. I use 10 ply tyres and heavy springs. The tyres might be at 33 if I was using the truck empty. Or the rears might be 65 and the fronts 55 if I had been hauling the big goose neck trailer.

Once we got over that minor obstacle, they would start inspecting and testing and peering, and could not figure out why the old farm truck ran so clean, and passed their tests. It was always worth it for me for the entertainment factor.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 20 of 28 Posts