Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately when I come to a stop I've been flashing my brake light three or four times with the brake lever before I actually really apply the brakes. I have a theory that this warns the traffic behind me, and actually gives me a greater margin of safety by doing so. Do you do this?

-soupy

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
:thumbsup:Generally yeah, a flashing light will get attention more so than a brake light just coming on. I've been told to flash my brake light when stopping or when traffic is coming up on me if I'm stopped.
I installed an LED brake light(much brighter) and then a flashing unit for it that I can control flash rate and duration. I have noticed that people tend to slow down more now rather than run right up on me first.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Yep, I always flash mine several times when coming to a stop, if there is a car behind me that is too close and I want them to back off, if I'm sitting at a stop light/sign and someone is coming up behind me.

·
American Legion Rider
20,026 Posts
Dis the only way unless you've switched to a device that does it for you. And there a few to choose from.

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
At first I was thinking trench coats but yes, it certainly doesn't hurt! The flashing activates the "motion detectors" in our brains...

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,225 Posts
I do this as well. Also, I'll flash my brakelight a few times when I see a car approaching from behind while sitting at a light.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
I do it depending on the road that I'm on. There's one extremely busy highway on my ride home that I usually have to stop to wait for oncoming traffic. I always do it there. There's more motorcycle-involved accidents on this road than all the other roads in the county combined.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If I see a cage behind me I will intentionally flash my brakes before I stop. I did not learn this in the BRC, I learned it over 45 years ago when I was learning to drive a Telephone company truck. The telco supervisor who was giving me a check out insisted that I do it. It has served me well ever since.

·
Registered
51 Posts
since we all pretty much use engine breaking to slow down till we really do need the breaks. It's very good thing to tap those breaks ahead to warn people behind you slowing down.

·
Nightfly
4,036 Posts
Like Oldman, I was never taught this, just seemed to be a relatively simple yet effective way to be more visible when stopped, or coming to a stop.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I prefer to be consistent and not throw flashing into the equation -- at least not more than 2-3 flashes.

Most drivers are competent.
My fear is that the incompetent ones are too easily confused.

I know I personally find modulating headlights to be irritating --and I ride!
Tail lights are obviously less irritating, but more than a couple of flashes may cause brain freeze among the mentally impaired who already make our lives dangerous.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't learn it in the BRC either........I think the first time I heard of doing it, was HERE, actually.

Must be a good place to hang out!

I too "flash" (no trench coat.....lol) about three times when I'm coming to a stop. Hadn't been doing it when sitting stationary, to warn an upcoming box. Will consider that.

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
It does work when you are sitting at a light. When you see a cage approaching you from behind let off the brakes and re-apply them. It lets them know for sure you are stopped. Knowledge is power.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
It does work when you are sitting at a light. When you see a cage approaching you from behind let off the brakes and re-apply them. It lets them know for sure you are stopped. Knowledge is power.
^^^This - plus you don't blend into the background. It shows that there is something there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't, but I probably should. Team Oregon's Basic Rider Training course recommends it as a way to improve your visibility, but it's by no means a state requirement.

Hmm. Now I want to research flasher units for my tail light...

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have started doing this also. You never know what the people are doing behind you. I was rear ended last October in my car the young man that hit me was texting never touched his breaks before contact.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts