Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a friend with i believe to be an 012 FJR an he keeps wearing out the left side of his front tire. he's tried various brands an i believe the last one on it is a michellan. this is his 3rd tire, not sure of the miles per tire. dealers tell him it's the road he rides, yeah right like all he does is go around in left hand turns all day. anyone know of a problem the fjr may have with this?
thanks
walt

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Riding on crowned roads will tend to wear the tire a little bit more on the left side, but it shouldn't be a whole lot more. It could be fork alignment causing excess wear.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
The dealer may not be wrong.

In countries that drive on the right side of the road a left hand turn is comparatively further, from the tire's point of view, then a right hand turn. Even if your friend rides and does the exact same amount of turns, right and left, the left side gets more wear because the bike is traveling further to make the turn, and all bikes lean somewhat in a turn. Left side wear is pretty common on bikes, but for most it's not really an issue, and on many cruiser style bikes it's not even very noticeable. And if your friend rides with a stronger lean in the turns then someone who rides more sedately, it may accelerate that wear.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some of the tire wear i believe is quite noticeable , say in 3000-5000 mi. a tire is worn out. i believe it's more then road surface an maybe fork alignment as was said. thanks guys, i'll pass it on to him.

·
Ace Tuner
2,947 Posts
Walt,
The crown of the road will wear the left side of a tire more, especially if most of his riding is on two lane blacktop roads.
Also if you don't keep a close watch on tire pressure that will exaggerate the wear even more.
Bikes with skinny tall front tires seem to wear the left sides more than bikes like the FJR.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the comebacks. the dealer took both forks apart an found that one fork had something (what i don't recall) loose inside so now both forks are being rebulit an sealed which should solve the problem. thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts