Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im at a complete stand still. I bought a bike and it turns out that It needed major work. The main issue is it will not start but I can't exactly find out what will not let it start. I've been told it's the starter I've been told it's the starter motor I've been told it's the stator and I just need someone who actually knows what they're talking about to help me out. I've included a few pictures with the hopes that maybe that might be able to signify the issue. Thanks for the help appreciate it

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
I'm not a Goldwing guy, but that top picture looks like a clutch to me.
What exactly does the bike do when you try to start it?
BTW when someone says "starter" and someone else says "starter motor", I'm sure they're referring to the same thing.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
I'm just spit balling here. But if the chain that operates the starter clutch were to break, it would do exactly as your describing. I can't think of anything else that would cause what your describing (assuming that I understand what your describing). Although it doesn't seem likely that the chain would break. The starter chain is ref#1 in the diagram.
1982 Honda GL1100I A ALTERNATOR | Ron Ayers

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Also, if any work was done just prior to this that involved the starter wires to be disconnected, and they are inadvertently reconnected backwards. That would also cause the starter to just spin.

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
When I try to start it I can hear the electric spinning sound but it doesn't turn over.
Hum, I think it's been about ~ 30 years since I've worked on one of those.
It sounds like the starter one way clutch (sprag clutch) is probably bad. It is located behind the rotor/flywheel that spins around the stator.
Unfortunately the engine has to be removed in order to service the starter clutch.
The starter clutch is made up of part numbers 2, 3, and 15 in the diagram found in the link bpe supplied.
You should replace circlip # 13 while you are in there.
Also unfortunately, part # 3 is discontinued according to my information. It might be possible to use the one you have but you will not know if it is usable until you get it out and check it for wear.
Unfortunately again, most of the time part # 3 does need to be replaced, along with the other parts, when those clutches wear out.

S F

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
I considered the starter clutch and then dismissed it because I think the OP is describing the sound as a smooth spinning sound. I would think a slipping starter clutch would always make a grinding sound.

To the Gold Wing guys:
Uh oh, I didn't know you had to pull the engine just to get to the starter clutch :eek:.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts