Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Honda 1982 CB900C last summer. First bike, and I love it. But, it the carbs have gone to trash since then (I live in AR and can still ride), and only 3 cylinders fire anymore.

Here's the problem: carb rebuild kits (because I'm relatively sure the bowl o-rings will be shot) are $36/piece and I would need four

So, question is, can I use some sort of silicone or other material that would cure after I put the bowl back on, but would not make it impossible to get off later? Of course, the O-rings are strangely shaped and pretty much have to be molded. But I don't want to ruin anything on the bike (obviously).

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
The safest way to do it with a kit. The risk of gumming something up or getting a poor seal using gasket-forming materials is pretty high.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
I agree with Dods. I would never use any type of silicone or adhesive in a carb. Fuel tends to break down the sealant into a goo that will plug everything up.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,134 Posts
Get the kit

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Silicone just doesn't work. Sorry man.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Obviously there's a lot more to a carburetor kit than just the O-ring for a bowl but hey you could give it a try just be sure and let it dry adequately Bfor you assemble it. It should be easy enough to peel off I say go for it. Try one carburetor first and see how it goes. And be sure and report back to us on with whether it was a great idea or the worst mistake you ever made

1 - 7 of 7 Posts