Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 Kawasaki Gpz 550 that I'm fixing up. Just finished rebuilding the carbs and in order to get the carbs back on, you have to remove the boots that holds the carbs against the engine and allow the mixed fuel to go from the carbs into the engine cylinders. Between the boots and the cylinders is an o-ring that keeps a seal between the boots and engine cylinders.

Now the problem is the o-ring(I guess its technically a gasket) is old and worn out and it looks like a previous owner put silicon gasket sealant all around the o-ring and now that i took the boot of, its just a mess. I scrapped off all the old gasket sealant and cleaned it up. So I am wondering what I should do at this point. I know the correct answer would be replace the o-ring but the closest kawasaki dealership and on line are saying that each o-ring will be around 8.00 dollars. That would be 32 dollars that I would rather not spend on 4 o-rings. At my hardware store, they had o-rings that fits like a glove in terms of width but it is to big.

My options at this point are:
1. Spend 32 dollars for oem replacements
2. Use gasket sealant like the previous person and hope for no leaks.
3. Use the o-rings that were at the hard ware store but cut them and somehow bind it back together.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
I have a 1984 Kawasaki Gpz 550 that I'm fixing up. Just finished rebuilding the carbs and in order to get the carbs back on, you have to remove the boots that holds the carbs against the engine and allow the mixed fuel to go from the carbs into the engine cylinders. Between the boots and the cylinders is an o-ring that keeps a seal between the boots and engine cylinders.

Now the problem is the o-ring(I guess its technically a gasket) is old and worn out and it looks like a previous owner put silicon gasket sealant all around the o-ring and now that i took the boot of, its just a mess. I scrapped off all the old gasket sealant and cleaned it up. So I am wondering what I should do at this point. I know the correct answer would be replace the o-ring but the closest kawasaki dealership and on line are saying that each o-ring will be around 8.00 dollars. That would be 32 dollars that I would rather not spend on 4 o-rings. At my hardware store, they had o-rings that fits like a glove in terms of width but it is to big.

My options at this point are:
1. Spend 32 dollars for oem replacements
2. Use gasket sealant like the previous person and hope for no leaks.
3. Use the o-rings that were at the hard ware store but cut them and somehow bind it back together.
Dodsfall's answer is a good one. In my shop we have a large assortment of various orings. But we also have an oring kit. It consists of long strands of rubber "string" in various diameters. You have to measure carefully, then push the oring into the cutout and add a drop of their special sealer glue (which smella and acts just like superglue). It works great, but can only be used in situations like yours where the oring is held in a channel. Once you bolt the intake boots to the cylinder, the oring will squash out perfect.

I've had to do it numerous times for bikes that parts are no longer available for. But I would recommend you don't take short cuts.

Jack

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dodsfall's answer is a good one. In my shop we have a large assortment of various orings. But we also have an oring kit. It consists of long strands of rubber "string" in various diameters. You have to measure carefully, then push the oring into the cutout and add a drop of their special sealer glue (which smella and acts just like superglue). It works great, but can only be used in situations like yours where the oring is held in a channel. Once you bolt the intake boots to the cylinder, the oring will squash out perfect.

I've had to do it numerous times for bikes that parts are no longer available for. But I would recommend you don't take short cuts.

Jack
Yes, I do want to do it right as it seems the previous owner didn't do much right of anything. I couldnt find any of a rubber friendly gas friendly o-ring type glue. I found the o-ring online and ordered it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
High temp, specialty O-rings like this are expensive, but 8 dollars a piece is not that much for a product that is going to last for years.

consider spending the 32 just to easy your mind...

please, don't ask us to fix you, the decision is yours, how would you feel if I said, "get some JBweld, mix it up and put it in there" Hey it would probably work! but a 10 buck repair is just that. It might get you home so if you spend 10on the o-rings, make sure you get some JBweld also, and don't forget to take your tools when you ride... and don't get the plastic or wood JBweld, make sure you get the metal kind.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
High temp, specialty O-rings like this are expensive, but 8 dollars a piece is not that much for a product that is going to last for years.

consider spending the 32 just to easy your mind...

please, don't ask us to fix you, the decision is yours, how would you feel if I said, "get some JBweld, mix it up and put it in there" Hey it would probably work! but a 10 buck repair is just that. It might get you home so if you spend 10on the o-rings, make sure you get some JBweld also, and don't forget to take your tools when you ride... and don't get the plastic or wood JBweld, make sure you get the metal kind.
The kind i found online are gas resistant and high temp resistant for 32 cents a piece. I do have jb weld, but i don't want the boots glued to the engine because in order to get the carbs in/out, the boots must be removed.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
The kind i found online are gas resistant and high temp resistant for 32 cents a piece. I do have jb weld, but i don't want the boots glued to the engine because in order to get the carbs in/out, the boots must be removed.
Please share with us the search terms you used and where you bought them.I have a bike or three that could benefit from this....

Meanwhile, I have a similar sort of problem. Squashed 40 year old bowl gaskets. Honda only offers O-Ring kits for the entire carburetor. They get pricey in a hurry with 2 carbs to do. So I am getting this one

http://www.common-motor.com/honda-360-carb-o-ring-kit.

*8 dollars for 2 carbs. The bowl o- ring is round and not shaped, but if necessary, I can use grease or simply tape it in, tighten it down, add gas, and then simply remove the scotch tape after the gasoline loosens up the adhesive by slightly loosening the bowl screws.

Of course opinions are welcome if anyone has a better way to do it.....

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Send me yer address and I'll send ya the $32.

Can't see ya doing it wrong for lack of funds.

Could I suggest spending another $16 on "How to make a living without a Job" by Barbara Winters? (book)

It'll change your mindset, your income, and your life. (if you actually put what it sez into practice)

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Could I suggest spending another $16 on "How to make a living without a Job" by Barbara Winters? (book)

It'll change your mindset, your income, and your life. (if you actually put what it sez into practice)

Cheers!
Him,or Me????

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
slumlord said:
Please share with us the search terms you used and where you bought them.I have a bike or three that could benefit from this....

Meanwhile, I have a similar sort of problem. Squashed 40 year old bowl gaskets. Honda only offers O-Ring kits for the entire carburetor. They get pricey in a hurry with 2 carbs to do. So I am getting this one

*8 dollars for 2 carbs. The bowl o- ring is round and not shaped, but if necessary, I can use grease or simply tape it in, tighten it down, add gas, and then simply remove the scotch tape after the gasoline loosens up the adhesive by slightly loosening the bowl screws.

Of course opinions are welcome if anyone has a better way to do it.....
I searched 'o-rings'in google and found an oring superstore. its called oringsusa.com. I was lucky enough to have a hardware store that carried the size bigger and size smaller orings so i knew exactly what size i needed.Look under where it says o-rings for high temperature gasoline.

The only problem with this method is the measuring part. Try going to a hardware store and seeing if similar sizes fit, then go online and order the high temp gas o-rings

wadenelson said:

Cheers!
I do appreciate the offer but I cannot justify anyone spending 32 dollars on 4 o-rings that i got online for 64 cents plus shipping. Are they the oem 100% absolute perfect fit? no, but they are pretty dang close.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts