Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to start another tire debate, but... my XV1000 has a 170 rear tire. I just learned that the bike came stock with a 140. It is the original rim. How much trouble will I have getting a shop to mount another 170?

And out of sheer curiosity, if the XV1000 can fit a 30mm bigger tire, could my ZX9R go from a 190 to a 220 (to cut off any arguments, I don't want to do this:biggrin:)?

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Depending on the shop, they may not know what the correct size is. They just look at what's on there now and replace it with the same or similar size. Go for it. I wouldn't take it to a dealer of that brand of scooter however.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I went in to the Yamaha store, I wanted something other than the stock tire(that lasted 6500 which about 1000 too much), he said we got Dunlop and started looking thru his book all he could get was 240, he asked the mechanic if a 240 would fit on the Stryker, the mechanic went to a Stryker and measured the clearance on both sides, said no problem, so now I got a 240 and I've put 6500 on it, and got at least another 4k to go.

The 210 I wore out the outside tread first, the 240 I have about an inch on each side that has never touched pavement, and I go thru curves just as fast.

I don't know if this means you can go up 30mm on every bike......but it was the Yamaha store that did it.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
You got a good dealer there. One that can think outside the corporate box.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
699 Posts
I went in to the Yamaha store, I wanted something other than the stock tire(that lasted 6500 which about 1000 too much), he said we got Dunlop and started looking thru his book all he could get was 240, he asked the mechanic if a 240 would fit on the Stryker, the mechanic went to a Stryker and measured the clearance on both sides, said no problem, so now I got a 240 and I've put 6500 on it, and got at least another 4k to go.

The 210 I wore out the outside tread first, the 240 I have about an inch on each side that has never touched pavement, and I go thru curves just as fast.

I don't know if this means you can go up 30mm on every bike......but it was the Yamaha store that did it.
What size are you running on the front?

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, I was looking all over for this thread! I didn't realize that I posted it in the first bike forum :D.

I don't really want to go up to 220 (if there's even a 220 tire) but a 200 would look pretty cool. 190-200 is getting expensive enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts