Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just finished my first year of riding. Last September I bought a starter bike...a used 2006 Honda Shadow VLX 600...I only ride on the weekends, some evenings, and some days off. I never use it for commuting or errands. Mostly country roads riding. And, I have to say, I am hooked!

I did about 5500 miles in the year. Just wondering...how many miles of riding did you guys do in your first year? Just curious.

John

·
Premium Member
8,909 Posts
Miles.

I ride at least three different bikes during the year. Never got around to adding up the mileage. I do not ride to and from work, because I am an unemployed bum. Some would say retired, but I am far from retired.
Will do about 30 miles tomorrow on the Suzuki, and about 30 miles on two ferries.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
My first year on a street bike was about 40 years ago. I don't have a clue how many miles I rode, but it probably wasn't very many. Most of bike time was spent trying to keep one running long enough to actually ride anywhere.:)

·
Registered
809 Posts
First year of riding was in 1972-73. Put approximately 10,000 miles on a Honda CL175 that first year.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
I could probably figure out what I rode but it would just be a guess. It wasn't that much I know though and I also know I was scared all the time. I didn't start really putting the miles on until the next few years. Then after that I really started piling them on just commuting after I moved.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
First year was riding from the sticks where I lived, to and from school and to my part time job. I'll guess 5-6k, but I was only 14, and that was long ago.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
The first years of my riding was for farm operations or Sunday goofing off. Never looked at the speedo let alone the odometer, but a ballpark guess would be 3-5K. Back then, a bike for me was mostly just another 'tool' for getting things done.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
I had my first bike for 2 summers and sold it with 2400 miles on the odo. I don't recall how many I did the first year. but I would venture that less than half. Maybe 1000?
I do remember that riding 30 miles to Lacrosse, WI and back (60 miles round trip) was a "long ride";)
And the second year my girlfriend and I rode up to her parents place, 150 miles away.. It seemed like a grand expedition at the time.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I lived in the country on a gravel road. There were 3 or 4 of us kids that had bikes. We rode a lot in the evenings and most weekends. Almost all of our riding was on gravel roads or dirt paths. We weren't riding like most dirt bike riders do, these paths were like roads. I have no idea how many miles we rode back then but I loved every minute of it. None of us had licenses though.

Fast forward to 2005 when we got back into riding. Behind Randy was probably about 10,000 miles and on my own was probably another 2000 or 3000.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

About 50 years ago I had a BSA 650 for a short while. Don't know how much I rode as I was working and going to school too and had to use my truck. Then a layoff of 43 years, so it was like new again. That first year in 2008 I rode about 25,000 miles. It helps when you're retired at the time.

--

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You all are great. I was really curious because when I stopped to think about it, it was a lot of miles considering I made no long trips, no commuting, and no errand running. One thing for sure in my book, you gotta ride to learn how to ride and to learn how to be safe. Had one close call and man did I learn from that!

John

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
You all are great. I was really curious because when I stopped to think about it, it was a lot of miles considering I made no long trips, no commuting, and no errand running. One thing for sure in my book, you gotta ride to learn how to ride and to learn how to be safe. Had one close call and man did I learn from that!

John
Absolutely, John. Continue to learn from errors and continue to educate yourself of different techniques and find what works best for you. Many of us have been riding for decades and are still advancing our skillsets.
There are those that have 10 years of riding experience, and those that have 1 year of experience ten times... if that makes sense.
I know riders that have had licenses for many, many years but only ride a few hundred miles each season. I still kind of consider them to be novice riders.

The point is to keep learning and maybe even take some advanced rider courses in the future. But most of all that experience comes in miles, not years

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
When I started again 3 years ago I logged 5k on my VStar 650 without leaving the state. Upgraded the the Royal Star in Aug and put 2k on that before I put it away for the winter. Didn't get real far out of the state on that one either that year.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
No Clue as it was almost 50 Years Ago still remember the Rides if not the Distance .. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
First year of riding

My first bike was a Ducati Monster 750, that I bought when 38 years old. I probably put on about 2-3000 miles that first year - all short trips, evenings, sundays etc. I loved the light weight handling and classic look of that red open framed classic looking bike, but decided that I liked the highway and open road more than around town, and with the cool air temperatures around Calgary Alberta, the complete non-protection of the monster started to lose it's appeal quickly. If I ever could convince myself it would make sense to have 2 bikes, I'd find a classic monster to have around town. Well, other than the insane maintenance costs of a Ducati.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts