Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Oil pump starved out for maybe three seconds..... probably no permanent damage to the bearings yet. Keep working on it. When you hear a loud knocking, you went to far.

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
Look. Dude. The Hoolie in me says: "That's not a wheelie" and "Remember, if you're doing power wheelies, you're always picking up speed, which is why you ran up on that car--SO--make sure you have a clear lane."

OH and check your local and state laws, a wheelie is gonna be reckless driving in most states and in places like Florida it's an automatic impound and $1000 fine if memory serves.

Oh and wheelies in the dark is a bad idea too--you should be able to see the path of travel and when you've got it up on the BP you'll find that all you're doing is illuminating bats...

Additional Hooligan tip: Look for large industrial parks, preferably deserted with large truck lots. After that, you're on your own. Remember--even a wheelie in a private lot can be reckless driving (disregard for safety of self or others). You're gonna take some real heat for a crap power wheelie you almost drove into the trunk of another user and frankly? You might deserve some of that heat. Remember as well, videoing yourself is fine and good--cops like to call that "evidence". Odds it will be evidence? Low...unless you bin it into another user.

Last thought: Cover the rear brake.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In some areas it still considered reckless driving EVEN on private property???? That's messed up.

This video was posted on youtube.com a year ago, and you just now posted it? I would assume you would of posted a newer one. (Not that I'm asking you to post a newer one.)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wow. You're proud of doing that in traffic? If I had been near you I'd have smacked the stupid off of you. How dare you put all those people around you in danger. If you screwed up or even just scared them and they wrecked reacting to you, then what?
I understand the urge to play too, but doing it in traffic is what makes everybody think every biker is douchebag.
Next time at least follow CaptCrash's advice.

·
Second Wind
286 Posts
only live once, but i wear gear
omg. The Motorcyclist rag recently had an article about how all the modern motorcycle safety devices/gear lulled one into a false sense of immortality. Yeah maybe not immortality but since we have the gear on and thus are protected from injury, ahem, we take more risk. Taking risk is a personal decision. You sir made that decision public. Stop that. Wearing all the gear in most cases simple means more scissor time for the paramedics.

Have fun, ride like you want, just leave the rest of us out of it?

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
You only die once too. Kevlar and plastic won't keep one of those cars from flattening you if you mess up.

Not a lot of skill required to wheelie a 600. If you want to learn to do stunts do the sensible thing and go somewhere you won't get flattenened if you eff up Einstein.:thumbsdown:

·
10,763 Posts
As a former LEO, I can tell you the wheelies in the dark are SUPER easy to spot as an officer. That headlight rotating to the sky and back can be seen a very long way away. So not only is it dangerous to do on a public street, and in the dark, you picked the easiest time of day to get busted. As the Captain said, find a big empty lot and practice and have all manner of fun. In most jurisdictions the tickets that can be written to a person in a private parking lot for that activity is some form of exibition driving (check your local laws) On the public street like you did. Reckless driving and you get your license suspended. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
178 Posts
He is just trying to improve the gene pool. Unfortunately he is putting innocent people at risk. AND driving up our insurance rates.

Totally irresponsible. Of course bragging about it here shows that he has no concept of what he is doing.

Sometimes only nature can fix stupid.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
What a moronic statement and thing to do. You do only live once and you're supposed to make it last as long as possible... and all the gear in the world won't help you when you get ran over by a car. Also; as much as seeing this stuff actually infuriates me cagers hate it even more and next time you may get one that hits you or stops short on purpose.

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
In some areas it still considered reckless driving EVEN on private property???? That's messed up.
From our friends at Lawyers.com:

"Street or Public Highway

Most states require that a defendant's reckless driving take place on a public street or road. Some examples of what doesn't qualify as a "public street or highway" include:

A metered parking lot
School grounds
A privately owned parking area of a shopping plaza that could be closed to the public

Increasingly, courts have had to address the issue of whether reckless driving laws apply to private property. If your state's reckless driving law doesn't include as an element of the offense, either expressly or by implication, that the violation must have occurred on a public highway, the law might apply to conduct occurring anywhere within the state, including on private property.
The trend among the states is that reckless driving laws apply to private property. Furthermore, in light of the growing practice of banks, supermarkets, amusement centers, shopping malls and other organizations to maintain large parking lots or garages for the public's convenience, it seems likely that legislatures and courts, in the interest of public safety, will see an increasing need to make reckless driving laws applicable to private property that's dedicated to public use."

http://criminal.lawyers.com/traffic-violations/Reckless-Driving.html?page=2

Emphasis added.

Strange but true...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah this was me my first time i owned my bike and doing a wheelie on a public road, but I NO longer do wheelies because of a friend that crashed while doing a wheelie and had serious injuries. It's something I thought i would just share on here, yes it was stupid of me to do, but I was 17 and even though I'm only 18 now i've learned alot of things that can happen and i stop doing things that will put myself and others at harm. Everybody ride safe, sorry if this bothered you.

·
It's all about attitude
880 Posts
Good on you for deciding doing wheelies on public roads is a bad idea.Doesn't mean you can't elsewhere where it may be less dangerous to others and allowed. Have fun on your bike but be safe doing it.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts