Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 13 year old riding my 350. He's ridden mini bikes for years, but this was his first time on a large bike, or one with a clutch. He learned fast. Admittedly even faster that I did when I was his age. And he loved it. Didn't want to stop even after his fingers went numb from the cold.

Conversely, his mom wasn't as enthused with the situation. She wanted to both watch and not watch at the same time. :)

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Great family moments. Thanks for sharing with us. The pictures put a smile on my face remembering some of our similar moments. Way to go mom!! I'm sure she was more nervous than him.

·
Visionary
4,615 Posts
Awesome memories your making there, he will remember that day, his first ride on a real bike, forever and so will you. His mom was smiling with pride behind those hands... she can't fool us :)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
What the ladies in our lives sometimes fail to understand, is our equal concern for our kids safety. It's just that we have more of a "you can survive this" understanding that allows for some potential minor damages, as learned lessons that cannot be fully appreciated in "theory" class.

-soupy

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I think dads use more of a tough approach. He's a good kid, and tough. I was actually more worried about the bike than him. :D His mom, pictured, is tough, too. But she gets nervous when it comes to her babies. She loves motorcycling, though, she's my favorite riding partner. And she's ultimately okay with him riding motorcycles. He has a good and safe trainer in me, even if I say so myself.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I started riding when I was 13! Of course, it was only a KZ100, and not a nice 450 like that one, and it would barely do the speed limit on the highway, but since we lived out in the 'sticks' and I never got it out of the 1.5 acre backyard until I was 16 anyway, it's not like that mattered. I perfectly understood the Mom's thoughts and feelings, though, when my son started riding!

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He has another year or so before he gets out of the backyard, too. He can barely get his feet down, and can't really hold the bike up if it gets far off balance. One day though, he'll be on the trails with me. For now his 70cc dirt bike is still good to go.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Completely the opposite of my first ride on a real bike when I was about 12. My dad and uncle stuck me on my uncles 350 Honda dual sport, quickly showed me the controls, and sent me off into the woods following my cousin. No helmet, no training.

But I lived! And had a blast.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Completely the opposite of my first ride on a real bike when I was about 12. My dad and uncle stuck me on my uncles 350 Honda dual sport, quickly showed me the controls, and sent me off into the woods following my cousin. No helmet, no training.

But I lived! And had a blast.
For those of us that survived that kind of training I can tell you we picked up some bad habits usually. Darn sure doesn't hurt to take a class even though we did survive. Same with dirt bike riders. Just because they can ride doesn't mean they can on the streets. These basic riding classes are good for everyone.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took the MSF course, and despite riding since I was a kid, I learned a lot. I'll take it again with my boy when he takes it in a few years. I was so impressed with my course, I think the MSF should be required. Just like a drivers ed course is for operating a car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts