Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Thinking of buying my first bike, so I figured I'd lurk here for a while before I pulled the trigger on a two-wheeled death machine.

I just got back to LA from 10 months in NYC and have no real desire to drive a car around. I've been getting around fine on a bicycle, but would love to pick up a bike for longer trips and to not have ot take the bus or an Uber around town when I'm outside of walking/biking range.

I have to admit, I was pretty reluctant (still am!) to buy a bike since my friend totaled his Ducati and his legs and face a few years back. Watching him go from an able-bodied model type to having a leg amputated and his face rebuilt was pretty discouraging. But I'm hoping I'll have learned his very expensive lesson and get something sensible/manageable engine-wise and build drastically different riding habits to maximize my safety.

I'll probably be asking a lot of rookie questions about bike choice and helmets and all the rest, but I'll make sure I do my due diligence before creating a thread and hope you guys will extend me some patience in return.

All my best,

Blakeney

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,857 Posts
Welcome aboard, Seems like you have some predefined ideas about riding an it's inherent danger.

Stick around, take the BRC and see how you feel then.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome aboard, Seems like you have some predefined ideas about riding an it's inherent danger.

Stick around, take the BRC and see how you feel then.
Thanks Crit! I'd say I'm cautiously approaching it - I don't think the ideas about the dangers are entirely unfounded. Watching your friend's life get turned upside down will do that. That said, let's call it cautiousl optimism... Or optimistic caution. Thanks again for the welcome.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome to the boards. You're right to be cautious though. In a car, you have all sorts of safety equipment, on a bike simply put... you don't. I'm sorry that you've had to see that experience with your friend on his bike. They can be tons of fun.
I agree with Critter, in the BRC is going to be the best exposure you can get to riding experience. It will also teach you a lot of things that will no doubt save you from a horrific accident.
Again, welcome to the forums, and condolences to your friend.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Most of us here agree that taking the BRC is about the best thing you can do before you start riding. Riding is dangerous but then riding a bicycle can also be dangerous. You have to be the one to decide if riding is what you want to do. I accept the danger because riding is something I LOVE to do.

I'm also sorry to hear about your friend. I hope he is coping with his situation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, if it's anything like riding on the back of my friend's Vespa, I love it.

*hides face with embarassment*

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And thanks for the condolences, guys. The accident itself happened about 7 years ago, so we're all moving on... I mean, of course he's still suffering, but he's a trooper.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Welcome from Daytona Beach.

Yeah, riding motorcycles is dangerous, but then so is life itself: You won't get out alive, so don't be afraid to live.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I second what Eye said. You can kill yourself stepping out of bed in the morning. Life will pass you by if you put things off because of being afraid of the dangers involved. Yes, it's good to be aware that most cars will not see you. You either accept the dangers or you walk away. Those dangers can be avoided with good diligence and eyes open wide. When I told my Dad that I was riding a motorcycle I told him that I accepted the fact that I could possibly die on one, but that I'd rather die doing something that I love, rather than suffering through cancer or some other horrible disease.

Take the BRC, it will give you a good idea if you really want to ride or not. Don't let the figure 8 shake you, how often do you see bikes doing figure 8's on the road. Though it does give you skills you need down the road, it's not everything.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Welcome! Take the BRC and find a bike you love. As you can see by my photo, l have taken steps to make myself visible. Every little thing helps :)

·
American Legion Rider
21,251 Posts
Welcome to the funny farm(at times) from Texas. Use the Search function. You'll find a lot of your questions may already have been answered. But don't be afraid to ask for clarification. Have fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha, thanks Fellas. Yeah Billo, I feel a bit like a guy who decided to pick up Dodgeball at a hand grenade range. :p

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
Crash

You do not have to crash and burn.
You do need to have a keen sense of self preservation.
It is possible to play rugby, surf big waves, ride bikes, race bikes on the pavement tracks, and cross country, and still walk straight at 65.
Must be possible because I did it.
Every time I ride, and something silly or unusual happens, or I over cook a corner, or whatever happens, I make a mental note of it, and figure out how to prevent it.
On the race track your brain is calculating all the time. Sharper brains win races. You are a long way past being a very good rider.
Some days you can learn more from the guys who have not crashed.

You can do it. Ride sensibly and enjoy it. Call me when you reach 65 in good shape.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, Crusty. Safety's definitely my #1 priority right now. I'm actually trying to trade my AK for a starter bike (A rebel or something small) so I can put more of my bread towards safety gear and courses.

Either way, thanks for the encouragement - I'm hopeful with some good sense I can avoid messing anything up too bad. ;)

I'll keep ya posted, Unkle Crusty

1 - 18 of 18 Posts