Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a used s40 boulevard. I just bought a battery for it. When the choke is pushed in, it starts up fine. If I try to start it with the choke all the way out, it won't start. I thought you need to have it out when starting it? I let it warm up for a few minutes and sometimes it just dies after 3 or 4 minutes. I hear it struggling and will give it some throttle but sometimes it's not enough. Earlier today I rode it for about 15 minutes and as soon as I slowed down to first, it died... I don't know how to use the choke on this bike and I'm not sure why it keeps dying?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Have you tried to start the bike without using the choke at all?
I have not needed to use my choke at all since I have gotten my bike.
I simply press start and it runs fine maybe at some point when it gets cold out I may have to start using it but for now no need.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
I just got a used s40 boulevard. I just bought a battery for it. When the choke is pushed in, it starts up fine. If I try to start it with the choke all the way out, it won't start. I thought you need to have it out when starting it? I let it warm up for a few minutes and sometimes it just dies after 3 or 4 minutes. I hear it struggling and will give it some throttle but sometimes it's not enough. Earlier today I rode it for about 15 minutes and as soon as I slowed down to first, it died... I don't know how to use the choke on this bike and I'm not sure why it keeps dying?
Might want to try increasing your Idle RPM or Richen your Mixture just a bit on the stalling .. Once warmed up no choke at all should be needed.. If this is beyond your own wrenching ability be well worth it to have it done ..

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
The 'choke' is actually a valve that sends a rich mixture from the pilot (idle) jet system past the throttle, so only works with your hand off the grip. Also, since it is sending a rich fuel and air mixture, it will idle a bit fast until the engine warms, at which point it will be too rich and start to sputter out. Because the 'choke' mixture is so rich, if it is really warm wherever you live, you probably don't need it; I only needed mine when the temperature was below about 65F/18C. If you forget it and leave it on, you won't know until you slow down after about 2 miles riding; the idle will then be too rich for the engine to keep running after it is hot.

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
What fuel filter? The screen in the fuel tank?

·
Ace Tuner
3,522 Posts
Never needs the choke on cold start up and the bike dies at idle when fully warm?
Could it be running too rich?
Does it have an aftermarket exhaust system? Is it possible that somebody did a jet kit and left it too rich? Is the air filter plugged?

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
I would service the air cleaner as well, hard to say what the PO did or did not do, this way you KNOW it is clean, not that it would make a difference so far as running but I'd giver her an oil & filter change and other liquids, Might add an in-line fuel filter, they have them at NAPA, now that she is YOURS and make a maintenance log.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts