Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,
This is my first post, and I don't have a bike yet, but I'm pretty interested in getting one.
I will be learning how to ride from an old family friend (practically relative), and then I'll be taking all the necessary courses and tests needed this summer.
I definitely want a cruiser, something with low cc, that would be perfect for someone who is learning how to ride, and would mostly spend time on side streets.
I don't want to spend too much (3000>), so I'm definitely willing to look at older bikes
I was just wondering what models I should be looking at, and how I should go about the purchase.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

How tall/heavy are you? What sort of riding do you intend to do mostly? Highway/city/both?

·
Registered
8 Posts
A 2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50 will fit the bill perfectly.
800cc Fuel Injected Engine, 542 lbs empty, 4.1 gal usable fuel. At 65 mph it will usually get 50 mpg. 75 mph about 42 mpg.
Average price around $3,000-3,500.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Hello there,
This is my first post, and I don't have a bike yet, but I'm pretty interested in getting one.
I will be learning how to ride from an old family friend (practically relative), and then I'll be taking all the necessary courses and tests needed this summer.
I definitely want a cruiser, something with low cc, that would be perfect for someone who is learning how to ride, and would mostly spend time on side streets.
I don't want to spend too much (3000>), so I'm definitely willing to look at older bikes
I was just wondering what models I should be looking at, and how I should go about the purchase.
Thank you!
Before you buy anything sign up and take the MSF course, they provide the bike. As Nordic asked, how tall and heavy are you? We can't tell you what will fit and feel comfortable to you, but you might get some ideas. Personally, I've seen many new riders decide what they want before they've ever ridden only to find out they didn't like what they thought was their dream bike. Learn to ride first, then sit on or test ride all the styles and see what you like the most. It doesn't matter so much what it looks like, more how it fits and handles.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would recommend taking the MSF or similar course first, and THEN let your friend help you practice what you've learned. Learning from friends is not the best way... no offense to your friend, but you may learn the bad habits they have acquired over the years, but MSF trainers and the courses are prepared to teach you the right methods in a successful progression for you to be safe and successful.

Good bikes to start with would be a used 650-900 cc bike. After you take your class, go to dealers, get on different bikes in that range and pick one that feels comfortable to you.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
The above posts had good info for you. Take the MSF course first (you can find one in you area at www.msf-USA.org) and THEN have the relative or friend help you practice what you learned in class. They can also help you get the bike to a safe practice area like a parking lot or very quiet neighborhood.

Well meaning friends have been responsible for many riders developing bad/unsafe habits that they struggle to break later on.

For a first bike look at something like the Honda Rebel. There are thousands out there. If you play your cards right, don't abuse it too much and don't pay too much, you can often buy it, ride it for a year and then sell it for almost what you bought it for.

Check Craigslist. Go to a dealer only if you know how to negotiate with a dealer AND your time is more important than than money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!
I'm 6'3", and about 185.
I was looking into the rebels, as well as the VStars.
This info was really helpful too, I'll definitely look into taking the courses first.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Another vote for taking the MSF course. It really is a great thing and they provide a bike for you to ride, so no worries about dropping and damaging your own bike.
As for what bike you should get, everyone will have their own opinion about what brand but all Im going to say is that you should probably look at a metric cruiser. You should be able to find one in your price range. I ride a Honda CBR250R but before I bought it, I considered a Honda Shadow and found quite a few in the $4000 price range. You could check on Cycle Trader and see whats for sale in your area.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The MSF course is great in case you hadn't heard lol. The Suzuki m50 c50 would be a great bike for you. As well as the vstar 650 or 1100. Personally I would not get anything Less than 800cc you will end up hating it in less then a year. And wasting the money when you trade in next summer. I started on a vstar 1300 and it by no means was too much bike for me. It feels lighter then my friends sportster and is a super easy ride. I got some flack for getting a "big" bike for my first bike on here. But I'm glad I picked the one I did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The MSF course is great in case you hadn't heard lol. The Suzuki m50 c50 would be a great bike for you. As well as the vstar 650 or 1100. Personally I would not get anything Less than 800cc you will end up hating it in less then a year. And wasting the money when you trade in next summer. I started on a vstar 1300 and it by no means was too much bike for me. It feels lighter then my friends sportster and is a super easy ride. I got some flack for getting a "big" bike for my first bike on here. But I'm glad I picked the one I did.
I mean, I'm not exactly planning on using this for a lot of highway driving, especially initially. But thanks for the advice, I'll definitely keep it in mind!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, I came up with this timeline for how I want to progress, although I may make this quicker.
I want to get my motorcycle permit this summer, and take the course the same summer.
Then, I would practice on other people's motorcycles, get my skills up, and save money.
Following all this practice, I would probably buy my bike some time in the following spring (2015), after my 21st birthday.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Thanks everyone!
I'm 6'3", and about 185.
This info was really helpful too, I'll definitely look into taking the courses first.
After 40 years of riding I took the MSF course. I was riding a large bike at the time with a low seat height. The bike they gave me to learn on was a Rebel and I loved that little guy. It was light enough to just toss it around but powerful enough to give me a nice ride. BTW I outweigh you by over 40 pounds so you may find that a nice lively bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took the safety course on a Rebel and after I got used to it I liked it. I've ridden on the back of bigger motorcycles and can't imagine managing one of those on my own. I'm pretty small though so you might have more luck.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I had a Vstar 1300 for a couple of years. Pretty long and somewhat heavy bike. Beautiful and well engineered, but I do not think its a good choice for most beginners. Just because you got away with it, does not mean other will. Your skills may have been superior.

A great second or third bike though. :71baldboy:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks everyone!
I'm 6'3", and about 185.
I started out last year, I'm about same size and height as you.

I took the MSF and right after I bought a 2004 Suzuki VL800 Volusia, which is the same as a c50 Boulevard, just a bit older

I actually really like it handles great, and not much to maintain on with the shaft drive. The only thing I did wish is that it had another gear, at 70m she screams pretty good.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
699 Posts
OP, You are about the same size I am (im 6'5 185). I am riding an 09 Kawi Vulcan 500 LTD. Very forgiving bike, with good handling and great power for it's size. I have found it to be a perfect beginner bike for me. The 250 Nighthawk I rode in BRC was just a bit TOO cramped for me. The Vulcan is a great compromise between weight and power. If you do ok in your BRC, give them a look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts