Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, i'm new. so new that i havn't drivin my motorcycle yet. i purchased a used motorcycle from my father in law and just paid $2000 to have it serviced and certified, it leaked a whole tank of gas over the week.
it's a 1997 suzuki marauder 800cc, i don't understand anything about mechanical stuff so i will just type out what is on my bill, i'm sure you will understand it more then myself.

b/b-1053886 fuel pump assy
mf-esso #1-fuel
front carb
rear carb
trio-lucas fuel treatment
motorcycle service
bensons-51359 oil filter
bikers choice-10w40 oil filter
reyco-ctx12bs battery

there is a fuel on/off switch on the left side of the bike, there is a hose just behind it where the fuel is leaking. from the things the mechanic repaired should the bike still leak? any tips on how i can fix this myself? sorry if im not very detailed or making much sense...this is all alien to me right now.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Having spent $2,000 - I would take the bike right back to shop and expect them to make it right at no additional cost to you!!

With the work they did, they should definitely have test ridden the bike, and inspected it both before and after the test ride. They should have caught this, unless something has been damaged since they test rode it.

hey everyone, i'm new. so new that i havn't drivin my motorcycle yet. i purchased a used motorcycle from my father in law and just paid $2000 to have it serviced and certified, it leaked a whole tank of gas over the week.
it's a 1997 suzuki marauder 800cc, i don't understand anything about mechanical stuff so i will just type out what is on my bill, i'm sure you will understand it more then myself.

b/b-1053886 fuel pump assy
mf-esso #1-fuel
front carb
rear carb
trio-lucas fuel treatment
motorcycle service
bensons-51359 oil filter
bikers choice-10w40 oil filter
reyco-ctx12bs battery

there is a fuel on/off switch on the left side of the bike, there is a hose just behind it where the fuel is leaking. from the things the mechanic repaired should the bike still leak? any tips on how i can fix this myself? sorry if im not very detailed or making much sense...this is all alien to me right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just been sitting in my driveway since it's been "fixed" also it's in canadian dollars and everything here costs more then the states unfortunately

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Yeap, I'd definitely go back to the shop that did the work.

Are all the items you mentioned listed as labor or parts? $2,000 sounds VERY high for that kind of work. It may be more then the value of the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the $2000 was for labour and parts, also got it certified. it was more then i paid for the bike $1500 bucks, under 7000 kilometers. but doesn't sounds like something i could fix myself does it?

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
the $2000 was for labour and parts, also got it certified. it was more then i paid for the bike $1500 bucks, under 7000 kilometers. but doesn't sounds like something i could fix myself does it?
Don't EVEN think about fixing it. Get it right back to them and let them fix THEIR mistake. Plus a tank of fuel.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
On older bikes a lot of the time rubber items will age and crack. The first thing I'd do would be to look behind the fuel valve and see if you can tell exactly where and how the fuel is leaking. If the hose is just loose, you may be able to get a hardware store hose clamp on there and snug it up. If the ose is all cracked and rotted you may be able to replace it, as long as you can get to both ends. If the fuel is coming out of the seams of the valve itself, or from the tank threaded fitting, that might be beyond your abilities right now.

If they replaced the fuel pump then I'm assuming they also replaced, or at least removed and put back, the fuel line to the petcock.

(I'm speaking in general terms. I don't work on that type specifically, but I'm sure there's someone here with more exact knowledge.)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Fuel hose is available at any auto parts store. Once you find the leaking hose, you can replace it for under five bucks, even at Canadian prices. Do not allow the leaking to just go on until you fix it. Shut off the fuel petcock and the fuel losses will stop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts