Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! I just bought an electric bike (Zero S) and rode on the freeway here in NorCal for the first time. I had a Ninja 250 back in 2013 for a couple months, but I never took it on the freeway, so this was my first time.

I don’t have a windshield, and the strength of the wind (not crosswind) really took me by surprise! I felt like I was struggling to keep my head from bobbing backwards. And my chest was also struggling to learn forward. it was also pretty hard to turn my head to check my blind spots when switching lanes.

And I was only going about 70mph - cars were passing me left and right!

Is this normal? Do I just need to strengthen my muscles? My teeth were completely clenched and I felt so stiff trying to counter act the wind. Should I lean forward a lot more even though my bike has an upright riding position? I’d prefer not to get a wind screen but if that’s the only solution, then I probably will.

I consider myself a brand new rider so any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Motorcyclist/Trucker/ Deplorable
1,190 Posts
Sounds like to me you just need to ride more and build your muscles ride memory. I rode several naked sport bikes and have had the same affect after not riding for any spell for a few minutes, kinda like getting your feet so to speak on a boat. Be careful out there people are nuts these days in them cages.

·
Registered
666 Posts
If you keep at it, it will not be long before you are used to it. Lean forward a bit if that feels better to you. Resist stiffing up on your arms, but you will need a little time for you back, abdomen, thighs and other torso muscles to get used to the sport bike type position. Regardless, in a short time you should be able to relax and enjoy the ride.

BTW, are you going 70 mph to reserve the run time, why not keep up with traffic and get between the packs?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,151 Posts
70 mph is a 70 mile an hour wind it pushes hard. Either build up your upper body, arms, and neck or get a windshield.

Reactions: dcstrng

·
American Legion Rider
21,862 Posts
Yep. ^^^ What Critter said.(y)

·
On The Road Again!
3,412 Posts
No windshield is fine under 50 mph. But above that you definitely need a windshield.
....And you need to relax while riding! If your teeth are clenched, you are NOT relaxed!
And I'm glad to hear that you turn your head to check your blind spots. You'll live a lot
longer that way!

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
305 Posts
My first freeway type ride was intimidating at first. I might have even said I'll never do that again. I rode on I35 through parts of Austin. I was concearned it would be bad but it wasn't Cars do change lanes quickly so you need to be aware of that and prepared. And the traffic can stop all of a sudden. But there not much chance of someone pulling out of a driveway or an animal running out in front of you. I'll do it again. I would like to go to the Galveston rally if it happens again. That would mean I45. I would also like to go to my buddies above Dallas but I will probbaly take an extra hour to avoid freeways there. It's bad even in a truck.

·
Registered
367 Posts
A windshield will help as will leaning forward a little bit. You want to try and relax your arms and your body though as death gripping the handlebars and riding while tense can cause handing issues and reduce your ability to quickly react and steer effectively should you need to make any sudden movements. Besides just telling yourself to relax, what might be some ways you can keep the pressure off your arms and feel more comfortable riding in the wind and sitting more forward?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you EVERYONE for your replies! Your advice all helped and I’m happy to say that with earplugs, relaxing, and a little lean, my second, third and fourth freeway ride went super smooth!

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Still say get a windshield. Even a small one can make a substantial difference in comfort, and if you ever get caught in a little rain shower you can get your face behind that windshield because raindrops feel like BB's at 70 MPH.

·
American Legion Rider
21,862 Posts
Yep, with a windshield you'll actually enjoy the freeway riding and not be nearly as tired when done. Memphis Shades might have one that is quick change so you can have it with or without the shield as you please.(y)

Reactions: Retired Guy
1 - 11 of 11 Posts