Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

As you can guess from the title im new to this but its something ive wanted to do for a while, i have just been given a 1980's kawasaki klr 250 witch has been sat for many years, the guy who gave it to me said it was runnin g when he parked it up for the winter and just never bothered with it again, im collecting and startin g on her this weekend but was hoping one of you wonderful motorcycle wizards could point me in the correct direction for not ruining it, i know that the carbs will be wanting a rebuild and chain brakes tires etc will want replacing and as i want to be able to take it to classic car and bike show in a few years any advice on how to clean up the original plastics etc would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Rob

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Sounds like a fun project!

One of the first things I do is spray anything I might want to get apart with PB Blaster, or some other good penetrating oil - especially the spark plugs. If the plugs come out easily I also will spray a bit into the cylinder and turn the engine over a couple times. The carb boot clamps should also be sprayed so they come apart easily.

Beyond that, an oil change, carb cleaning, and good general clean-up would be my first things to do. I like to hear the engine run before I start spending lots of time and $$ rebuilding a bike - make sure there are no bad noises.

Post some pictures when you are able, I would love to see it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks, will do all that you have said on saturday and will post pictures up aswell, yea im really looking forward to my first project of many i hope, cant think of a better way to spend my spare time

1 - 3 of 3 Posts