Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a first time bike purchase, never having ridden before, what would be the wiser purchase? My goal is to eventually take rides in the country with my fiancé (total body weight just under 350#. Will be taking a 2-day certification course in two weeks. Here are two options.

1. Well cared for 1998 1500cc Honda Valkyrie. Senior owner. 2 yr old Tour Windscreen, 300 mi. on tires, 3 yr old battery, new Synthetic oil & filter, tastefully chromed, Cobra triple exhaust with baffles, Mustang seats, Weatherproof 600W Speakers with FM, SD, USB & Ipod slots, undercarriage lights, HJC Helmet with two Sienna Bluetooth Intercom, 59,774 miles.
Need to move to a new home.

2. NEW 2016 Yamaha V Star 950 Tourer from Yamaha dealer in NC. Very Nice Looking Bike! Offered to me @ $9,290.00 out the door. KBB value $7,897.00 in excellent condition.

Any input would be appreciated!

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
You didn't state the price for the first one and you didn't state the mileage on the second one.

Both bikes are pretty big for a beginner.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
That Valkyrie is too big, and maybe a bit too powerful for a first rider. The biggest issue, though, is the sheer size of either of those bikes. You'll regret starting on it once you drop it (and you will drop it). I ride a Road Star 1700 that is about 40-60 lbs lighter than those bikes, and absolutely canNOT imagine starting in a bike that heavy.

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
Find a used 500cc Honda Shadow for a couple of thousand or less. That's a good starter bike!

Speaking from experience, I highly recommend that you spend the first season on the bike, ALONE!!
Don't take any riders on that bike until you and that bike have learned how to become "one." You will thank me for that statement later!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
what would be the wiser purchase?
I'd agree with others, 650+ pounds is a lot of weight to manage for someone with little experience. That's not to say it can't be done, but completing the course and getting you're license should be your first priority. It will give you a safe place to assess your skill level. Then you can decide on what bike to get.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Joe, I am leaning towards the other opinions on a smaller bike. But what is your height and weight? You mentioned combined weight but... If you are 6' 3" and 220, you may be able to handle the 950. I have always liked the looks of the Valkyrie but I'd stay away from this one as a 1st bike.

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
Put Tom Brady on a bull, and ask him to control it..........um, nope.......ain't gonna happen!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts