Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 18 and am wanting to get a bike to ride on the road, I live out in the country so a lot of riding will consist of 55mph roads but town is very close and so is the highway.
I currently have a yz250f that i ride and am fairly good rider, the bike doesn't scare me and I can push it pretty hard on the trails and track sometimes.
I am just wondering what would be a good first street legal bike. I am 5'10" and 165 I would rather not spend a ton but have a decent budget i could spend.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I would rather not spend a ton but have a decent budget i could spend.
Defining that a little more concretely, would be helpful. Fit is very important on a bike. Perhaps going and sitting on some you like might prove informative.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking to spend around 3k but can go up to 5 for something newer/ excellent shape. I am looking at a more sporty bike not necessarily super sport but something with good acceleration and decent top end speed

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the same situation. Going to take brc in march, live 15~20 miles from town. Have a ttr250 that I handle just fine. I'd say you go to cycle trader or a site like it to find used bikes. Just take someone with experience along especially if you are buying from a person. I wouldnt get anything smaller than 300cc, I'm looking at fz 07 and the such

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also you should just go to a motorcycle shop and ask to sit on them and check them out, so you can find a comfortable one, and when you're ready to buy take a test ride in the parking lot or something of the sort

·
Registered
427 Posts
At 18 I heartily recommend checking on insurance before committing to anything. At that age the only break (if you really want to call it that) will come with something 7+ years old. Even so, expect to pay at least half the Kelly Blue Book purchase price/MSRP on anything with full coverage, and many companies simply won't even insure young riders on certain bike types.

·
Registered
158 Posts
As far as 'starter' bikes, I wouldn't go 'bigger' than a 750cc, and maybe not even higher than 500cc. As you are still under 21-25, where Insurance companies change their 'rates', getting anything 'new' or 'sporty' is going to cost you a LOT more, so I suggest getting either a 'standard' or a 'cruiser' type, to start with. Once you've established a good 'driving record', THEN you may be able to bump up to a 'sportier' bike, and/or maybe even a bigger size. Also, being rather 'new' to riding, I also would suggest something 'used'. Something like a Honda Shadow 500/600/700/750 might be good, and the maintenance on them is minimal, so you can concentrate on perfecting your riding.

When I turned 16, and got my first license, with motorcycle endorsement, I rode a KZ100 or CB125 or KZ400 on the IN country roads around my house, similar to what it sounds like you will be doing, and I rode to high school almost daily during the spring/fall.

Two pieces of advise I will give you, free of charge.
1) NEVER try to 'show off' what you can do on a motorcycle, no matter how good she looks.
2) NEVER push either yourself or your bike beyond what you feel 'comfortable' riding.
These are typically the MAIN things that will either get you in trouble with the law, in an accident, or dead!
I will add a third piece of advice. ENJOY the ride!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am leaving more towards a supermoto so I could change wheels and still trail ride/ ride on dirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts