Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall first timer here on the forums. I grew up dirtbiking for about 4 years in high school and now I'm at college and looking to get a bike. I had a KTM 250, so I'm not new to dirtbikes, but I would like some opinions on a possible first street bike. I am in love with the look of the Ducati Monster 696, so I guess I like the naked bike look. I also love the Triumph Speed Triple R. I think I'd be able to handle a bit stronger than beginner bike just because of my dirt bike experience, but if you think otherwise let me know and give me some options!

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
619 Posts
I don't know anything about the Triumph or Ducati, but I kind of like the Yamaha FZ-07 and it's probably a little more wallet friendly than others.

I'd take the BRC first and then decide on a bike.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
The Duc monster is a very capable bike. To me it all comes down to how you feel. If you are ready for the challenge of the Ducati, go for it. If you are a bit uncertain, consider the more typical beginner bikers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey yall first timer here on the forums. I grew up dirtbiking for about 4 years in high school and now I'm at college and looking to get a bike. I had a KTM 250, so I'm not new to dirtbikes, but I would like some opinions on a possible first street bike. I am in love with the look of the Ducati Monster 696, so I guess I like the naked bike look. I also love the Triumph Speed Triple R. I think I'd be able to handle a bit stronger than beginner bike just because of my dirt bike experience, but if you think otherwise let me know and give me some options!

Thanks,
Alex
Yeah.. Ducati Monster 696 has a good look. You can also do a look at Ducati's gorgeous Monster 821, Ducati Monster 796, Ducati Monster 1200 these are also fine bikes which are far the easiest to find and the most reliable. Each bike has its pros and cons, so do some research and find out what fits for you and your budget. Unless you have money to burn, buy a used bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the advice. I'll be registering soon for my course, so I guess I will decide then. If anyone else has some decent recommendations that come to mind I would appreciate it! Residing here in Austin, TX

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
The street triple is actually a much better bike than the speed. And yes I've ridden both ..... A lot. I'm talking about handling and usable quickness. while the speed is a wheelie monster, it feels a bit like a pig next to the street. As for the Ducati, nice bikes but they don't like low revs at all, I would stay away from the 696, but that's just personal, actually, this whole post is opinion.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I have a 2004 SV650, it was $3000 with only 5k miles and l love it. I had a lot of dirt experience but hadn't been on a street bike in a long time. It is the kind of bike that won't get you in too much trouble yet l haven't gotten bored with it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I appreciate the advice. I'll be registering soon for my course, so I guess I will decide then. If anyone else has some decent recommendations that come to mind I would appreciate it! Residing here in Austin, TX
You will learn a lot on the course especially on choosing first street bike, don't rush on super bike if you know you are not ready yet. GOod luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello gripgear,
According to me now these day this seems like normal every person wants to have a sports bike, even he want to drive this only in their streets. Every one here wants speed and they get this by using the Sports bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For what it is worth, My first bike was a 2004 Suzuki Savage that I bought in 2011 with only 1336 miles. After 3 years of riding and 18,500 miles later, I decide it was time to upgrade to a V engine bike. I bought a Harley Davidson Street 750 in July. Both bikes are now hibernating in my single car garage with trickle chargers. I'm not new to riding motorcycles. I owned a 1982 Yamaha MX 175 when I was a younger and stupid. But I digress. As soon as I have 15 posts here I'll post a pic of both bikes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey street is way different then dirt in my opinion. I havn't been riding on the street long either, but everybody told go small because of the weight difference cuz dirt bikes are lite. I went out and got a 1982 cb 900 Honda custom. lots of power when u got a four bagger under your legs. Plus it only cost $900

·
Registered
17 Posts
Flatbedman84, A Honda 900 isn't a small bike. My 04 Savage weighs about 352 lbs and my Street 750 weighs about 482 lbs. I like the smaller cruisers. I have ridden bigger bikes. Test drove an Indian Chief Classic. That bike was almost too big for me but it was joy to ride and that 111 cubic engine was better than Prep H! lol

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts
New bike

I can not think of any good reason to spend twice as much money as needed, on a bike. The new 800 Yamaha triple is well priced, makes plenty of power, and handles okay. A Ducati will have a bit more power, handle better and cost about twice as much. And it might not be as reliable.

Have you thought about going out for dinner with a sweet girl, with the money you saved?

I practice what I preach. I have an SV1000 Suzuki. And a 79 Yamaha XS11 that the cute blonde prefers to be on.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I can not think of any good reason to spend twice as much money as needed, on a bike. The new 800 Yamaha triple is well priced, makes plenty of power, and handles okay. A Ducati will have a bit more power, handle better and cost about twice as much. And it might not be as reliable.

Have you thought about going out for dinner with a sweet girl, with the money you saved?

I practice what I preach. I have an SV1000 Suzuki. And a 79 Yamaha XS11 that the cute blonde prefers to be on.

Unkle Crusty*
And the cost of maintenance on that Ducati is going to be AT LEAST double...you're looking at close to $1000 every 5k miles for valve adjustments alone, according to a co-worker of mine who was considering buying one.

·
Registered
245 Posts
And the cost of maintenance on that Ducati is going to be AT LEAST double...you're looking at close to $1000 every 5k miles for valve adjustments alone, according to a co-worker of mine who was considering buying one.
Because we can't do a valve adjustment on our own???

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
That's actually not correct. Yes Ducati parts and service are a bit more expensive, but a grand every 5K miles is over the top. We sold and serviced Ducati at the shop I worked at, actually the new ones the service interval is 24,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Interesting...the guy l worked with was all jacked up about this Ducati, then came to work teh next day and he was like, "No deal...l found out how much maintenance there was, especially the valve adjustments."

I apologize for misspeaking.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Interesting...the guy l worked with was all jacked up about this Ducati, then came to work teh next day and he was like, "No deal...l found out how much maintenance there was, especially the valve adjustments."

I apologize for misspeaking.
No misspeak Hawk. I've heard that a lot of times about Ducati. (typically from people who don't like Ducati, not that that's you) It almost sounds like maybe the salesman wanted to sell him a different bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts