Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday a buddy and I took a 300 mile ride across the state to check out the Desert Inn at Yeehaw Junction, before it was tore down due to the semi truck accident that I posted about last week. There was a lot of riders stopping by while we were there, and they were there for the same reasons we were. They were taking photos and talking about previous rides where they had stopped there at the Desert Inn for lunch or a ride break during their rides. A couple of truckers also stopped to take some photos. We took our photos and then we headed south from there to Lake Okeechobee where we found a great little seafood restaurant. Their moto was if it swims, crawls or hops, we probably sell it whole sale. The weather was perfect, it was 48 degrees when we first started out in the early am, but it quickly warmed up to about 70 by noon. From there we crossed back through the center of the state using old two lane country roads passing through a few small towns on our way back home where we arrived just about at sundown, it was a good first ride of the year.
A couple of photos for those who didn't see the historic building prior to and during the accident scene, and then photos taken during our ride.

Trip photos showing the collapse after they pulled the truck out.

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,442 Posts
Very good reason for a ride. Is that already a state historical marker or just something they put up? If a historical marker, they may feel a little pressure to rebuild. I'd hate to see it gone and I don't live near it.

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Visionary
5,742 Posts
Nice ride and write up.
That building could still be saved, but the question is as always is the price right...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very good reason for a ride. Is that already a state historical marker or just something they put up? If a historical marker, they may feel a little pressure to rebuild. I'd hate to see it gone and I don't live near it.
It is a state historical sign, but I don't know when it was erected. I don't get by that area much anymore, but I first noticed it at least a couple of years ago. If you check out the third photo, the one with the truck in the building, you can see the sign on the right side of the trailer protected by four bollards. The truck just missed it.

Glad to see others getting out and riding!
One of the few nice things about Florida is the year round riding, if you can stand the summer heat & humidity, and the twice a year Love Bugs. For most of us the best riding here is during the winter, its usually nice mild temps and the fewest amount of bugs (some of our bugs can be bird size...lol). But, its mostly north, south, east, west straight roads with not very much scenery (other than north Florida around the forested areas of the state).

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
130 Posts
Great write up and thanks for sharing. I too did what I call the first-on-the-first ride but nothing like yours. Mine started out 43 degrees and when I ended the ride it made it all the way up to 48 degrees. Still, it was a beautiful day and great to be on two wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.