Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kids who got onto a motorcycle for the first time and didn't know how to stop.

Did one gigantic wheelie until they crashed into a tree, the ditch, parked car, whatever.

Let's hear your stories about the kid YOU let ride your bike, or the bike that older kid let YOU ride...

These stories all seem to begin with "He told me (or I thought) he knew how to ride....

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Okay, I'll play. I traded for a Honda CL70 from a neighbor for my daughters to ride. Showed the oldest how everything worked and sent her off on the trail that went around our homestead. She did fine until after the first corner when the bike wobbled and scared her. She cranked open the throttle and froze in panic, racing around the path and yelling "HELP" at the same time. I took off running on an intercept course but she had enough speed built up it was all I could do to catch her. Finally did and all ended well with no crash, but it took me the rest of the day to catch my breath.

The only disaster was finding out I wasn't in shape!

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

He's working up to doing a "Superman" at the arena....

·
On The Road Again!
3,845 Posts
LOL! Not me, my brother!
My first bike, a '64 Honda 90.....sold it to my younger brother Bob, and he's trying to learn how to engage the clutch in our small backyard. My youngest brother Rich, who could ride the bike just fine, is coaching him. After Bob stalled the engine repeatedly, I hear Rich say, "You gotta give it more gas!". Next thing I hear is a roar and I turn around to see Bob go ripping up the backyard and into the wood fence at the end. The fence cracked, but stopped the bike and Bob and the bike fell over into a bunch of thorny rose bushes. If that wasn't bad enough, the bike fell on top of Bob and burned his leg good with the exhaust pipe......
And he's laughing like an idiot!!
Took a while for the leg to heal and for him to pull out all the thorns. LOL!!!
Oh yeah, he eventually went on to become a decent rider, despite his first adventure.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
My first bike was a 1978 Suzuki PE175. Without fail, by the time 2 days had gone by l had every kid in the neighborhood at my house wanting to ride it. I was too nice. I let my friend ride it, he did too big a wheelie and ended up on his ass. The back fender was wasted, and the sissy bar was pointing straight up in the air.

I don't believe l have ever let anyone ride my bike since. I stopped hanging out with people who didn't have a bike of their own ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I bought a Honda 90 trail bike with an automatic transmission, rode it around the parking lot of the bike shop and rode it home, boring huh?
Now my cousin at a later date got on my 305 scrambler in my uncles pasture and forgot which way to turn the throttle and crashed into an electric fence, had to turn off the electricity to retrieve the bike, a very shocking accident.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was 12 or 13, my friend was one year older, and his dad bought a brand new Yamaha 80 Trailmaster with a solo seat and luggage rack.
No pillion, no passenger pegs ( I tried to use the rear fender braces). Bright yellow step-thru frame IIRC, this was appx 1963 or so.

We rode it to the shoreline of the bay, he let me try it solo, I found a U-turn was wider than expected and ended up in the bay, with small waves breaking over the stalled engine. Neutral was nowhere to be found.

I was wearing flip-flops and shorts, as usual. Maybe a T-shirt too.

Later that day as a passenger we tipped over in the sand and I got a big hand-sized burn, 2nd or 3rd degree, inside my right calf where my bare leg landed on the overheated exhaust pipe. If it wasn't for this injury needing attention, our parents wouldn't have known.

I wasn't allowed around motorcycles (my Dad wrecked his brand new 1927 Harley as a young sailor, spent months in a body cast) and I couldn't get my own motorcycle until I moved away to college. Still kept it a secret for about 6 months.

·
Super Moderator
565 Posts
A riend of mine had a couple of dirt bikes. One was an 80cc machine and the other a 150 or 200, can't remember which.

At that stage in my life (middle school) I was somewhat scared of dirt bikes as a result of my cousin suffering a broken neck in a crash on one. It was caused by his complete lack of experience and I was afraid I'd do the same thing he did... Grab too much front brake, wash out and biff hard.

On the flip side of the coin I was really curious to try riding out, so it wasn't hard for my friend to convince me to take the 80cc bike out for a spin. He gave me a quick run down on the controls and off I went.

What was the first thing I did?

Grabbed way too much front brake, washed out the front wheel and biffed. Didn't break my neck, though. I did bend the crap out of the shift lever and bruised my pride a bit.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Although had done a bit of Riding around the block and some fun in the Dirt on Motorcycles .. Bought my First Motorcycle in Early 1970, a new 1969 XLCH from Fletcher HD in Clearwater FL .. While did okay Kickstarting it and got through traffic and redlights sloppily but not too bad, when went across the Howard Franklin Bridge at 60 MPH with Traffic weaving all over the place and pretty brisk wind as well .. Was Scared big time .. No Such thing as a Motorcycle Endorsement or MSF at this time .. Just have a Drivers License and the Money to buy one ..

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
I was 6 the machine was a Montgomery Ward mini bike with a 3.5 hp Tecumseh (you know the kind Eb rode on Green Acres). No issues, but I did go to the mini biker bar afterward and treat myself to a pitcher of beer and rack of ribs.
I was born to ride.:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bought my GS650E, had no license or permit or anything, so I was buzzing around the vacant lot behind the back yard. Got up to a few miles an hour, thought "Hey, this is fun!" went up a little more, and noticed the wall of hedges approaching. Stood on the rear brake -- that's what you do, right?

The bike went sideways and down, and so did I, face into the lawn. I dislocated my left shoulder, so I reached over and popped it back into the socket. It hurt for years after and I still have limited mobility, 25 years later. The old Italian guy next door helped me push it back into the garage, 'cause my left side was worthless.

·
Registered
427 Posts
A friend let me sample his CBR1000 Hurricane, it was great and I was doing well but I'd never experienced dual disc brakes before. When I panic-stopped things went south...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts