Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just took two first photos of my RK in the garage (nasty day to ride). I just replaced the turn lenses, 'cause I think smoke is dangerous...and illegal here. Also waxed her up a bit, but still want to detail the wheels, whitewalls and spokes. She's doesn't have a spot of corrosion, and rides like a dream with 25K miles. :biggrin:

P1050161.jpg

P1050160.jpg

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Nice bike!!! I like the wide-whites, I just don't know how much I'd like keeping them clean.

·
American Legion Rider
21,845 Posts
Looking good. Also looks like the bike has it's second owner that takes care of bikes.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice bike!!! I like the wide-whites, I just don't know how much I'd like keeping them clean.
Thanks.Whites look great, but are a pain. Not sure what to use on them though. I've got Blech White which some swear by and some say magic eraser works well.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
She's a beauty, I love Roadkings :) I should also mention I'm jealous of how much floorspace you have in your garage.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, whites are a pain. Not sure what to use on them though. I've got Blech White which some swear by and some say magic eraser works well.
I use a magic eraser with Simple Green, works great - you need 1 magic eraser per wheel. I just cleaned by whitewalls on a bike my brother had stored for years and it was filthy. They shined up real nice :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She's a beauty, I love Roadkings :) I should also mention I'm jealous of how much floorspace you have in your garage.
Don't be jealous, the car is missing!:biggrin:

I'm surprised at how quiet the EVO engine is compared to the twin cams I've owned. I get very little engine noise coming up between me and the windshield.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking good. Also looks like the bike has it's second owner that takes care of bikes.
Thanks, cowboy. You're correct. I take care of them to a fault. Not as much as my first Harley though. I wouldn't take it on a dirt or gravel road, and turned around if there was road construction ahead.:eek:

After shock therapy, I'm better. Now I only wax every other ride.:71baldboy:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use a magic eraser with Simple Green, works great - you need 1 magic eraser per wheel. I just cleaned by whitewalls on a bike my brother had stored for years and it was filthy. They shined up real nice :)
I'll try it! Thanks Dan. Got any suggestion for dirty spokes other than soap and water?

·
American Legion Rider
21,845 Posts
When I had spokes years ago, Simple Green sprayed on them then brushed with soft brush followed by a rag on each spoke worked. But surely there is something better by now I would think. It was a labor of love though.:)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,146 Posts
Love clean spokes, just hate cleaning them. There is a cleaning spray from them, Just cant remember what it is called. Good looking bike.

Did a quick search

https://www.google.com/#q=spoke+cleaner

I think it was newspoke I used.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
When I had spokes years ago, Simple Green sprayed on them then brushed with soft brush followed by a rag on each spoke worked. But surely there is something better by now I would think. It was a labor of love though.:)
While that worked WONDERS on my wheel rims and made them sparkle, it did little to shine up the spokes... it did get some grime and dust off, but they still have a very dull and powdery look to them. There's also some black staining of some kind around the base piece that the spokes insert into. I used a shoestring and some chrome polish to try and get it out and it definitely improved it, but that was after spending 15 minutes on a single spoke :mad:

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
https://www.cyclecare.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=135

It says:

HARLEY DAVIDSON SPOKES, FOR MODEL YEAR 2006 AND OLDER, ARE CADMIUM COATED STEEL SPOKES.

The NEWSPOKE product will completely remove all brake dust, oil ,grease and most rust from the chrome rims, aluminum and chrome hubs of your wheels. However on the Cadmium Coated Spokes, on years mentioned above, the product will grey the spokes. All of the parts will be spotlessly clean, but the spokes will grey, and remove whats left (if any) of the Cadmium Coating.

Most of the spokes of the 2006 vintage and older, the Cadmium has already been removed and look much better grey than dirty. The grey can easliy be polished to a "chrome like shine" with the Cycle Care Formula M Metal polish (part# 55008). It takes a little time, but is quite easy and the results are worth it.

IF YOUR SPOKES ARE CLEAN and still CADMIUM COATED---THIS PRODUCT IS NOT FOR YOU!!!
I wonder if that applies to my Yammy spokes as well. Might give this a shot, I'm big on spray, let sit for 5 minutes, rinse off lol!

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Best of luck with your Road King Classic.

Looks like you checked all the boxes for reasons to drink beer in the garage (☒ black, ☒ chrome, ☒ leather, ☒ spokes, ☒ white walls)! I hope you'll have time left over for riding!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
That is a very nice looking low mileage bike. Average less than 2000 miles a year but it looks well cared for. Depending who you believe, that EVO engine is the best one they ever made.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts