Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my first pair of leather chaps and received them today. After 35+ years of riding I thought I'd give this a try since I know better than to try to convince myself to wear armored motorcycle pants. The pair I received are from LeatherUp and were surprising inexpensive for the heavy leather, and quality stitching that they are. But I will admit that it took me a minute to figure out how to put them on. Not quite like putting a pair of pants on, but I think that they will add a degree of safety for me. I think I could even wear them over a pair of shorts rather than jeans. I had to cut about 6 inches off the bottom to make them wearable, but that should not be a problem. I wonder whether or not I should buy a set of spurs since wearing these makes me feel like a cowboy. Hopefully my motorcycle will not leave piles of poop behind us like a horse.

·
Registered
781 Posts
You'll like them Vito. When I had my chaps (before I out grew them) I rode with them all the time. Nice and comfy and great for cold weather riding. Buy the spurs and let me know how they work out for ya.

·
American Legion Rider
25,887 Posts
I wonder whether or not I should buy a set of spurs since wearing these makes me feel like a cowboy.
Believe it or not, I know one guy that does. He has a older Road King and his saddlebags look like heck. But the guy will ride his horse and go from it straight to his bike or visa versa. He's the one and only one I know that does.

I do hope you measured how much to cut off the new chaps after sitting on the bike to see how much more they ride up. I made the mistake of not doing that with my first pair. They were perfect just standing or walking but were then too short while riding. I used them for about 1.5k miles before finding a going out of business pair where I corrected my mistake. Now they do drag a little bit in the back or rather used to but have since wore completely away to perfect fit where they no longer drag in the back and are just right when riding.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope I wasn't too hasty in cutting off the bottoms. But I ride a full faired bike so even if a tad short they should still work OK. I won't really know for a few months when I can begin riding again.

·
American Legion Rider
25,887 Posts
Yeah, you'll be okay, just have what we called high waters. I didn't have a full fairing back with my first pair so I thought I looked rather dorky if you know what I mean. But I had my faithful cowboy boots so I still had protection from debris. I'd still prefer cowboy boots but my custom motorcycle boots are much safer.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After I first left NYC as a young man, and was now living in El Paso, Texas I bought my first pair of cowboy boots. For a boy from Brooklyn, that made me feel more at home in Texas. So when I first started riding, I never even thought about spending money on motorcycle boots, using my cowboy boots as I would any other day (other than when working, since the Army would have frowned on my wearing cowboy boots while in uniform). This worked for me for decades, but as I have gotten older, my feet larger and less even, while I always own a good pair of cowboy boots I only wear them rarely, and not for a whole day. For riding I mostly wear "shortie boots" like from Icon or Alpinestars, and when off the bike, pretty much just wear slip on shoes. I think I only own one pair of shoes, and no boots, that have laces anymore. Bending over is possible, but a chore so I avoid having to do more than fold over a velcro strap and pull up a zipper. Maybe now with the chaps I'll again try riding with the cowboy boots that sit on the shelf waiting for me. I think the Stetson stays home no matter what I'm riding.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
At the end of a long day, chaps, wiped clean of bug splatter and properly folded, can be used as a pillow. Not a good one, but it can be used as a pillow.

·
American Legion Rider
25,887 Posts
Wow, you wipe the bug guts off? I was always so tired I didn't care but yes, they make a pillow of sorts. Slightly better than a rock.:) :) :)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
I've had a custom made pair of real leather chaps for over 30 years and I really didn't buy them for 'crash' protection but too wear in COLD weather and they really keep the wind from penetrating.

Some higher elevation places, even in the hottest parts of summer, get VERY cold late at night so it's good to have them with you just in case.

Buy 'Quality,' and you won't be disappointed.

Sam:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have some leather jeans from LeatherUp and the quality is surprisingly high for the price. Only problem I have is that the front pockets are too deep so it's hard to get coins/keys out of them, especially if wearing a jacket.

Regarding chaps: it seems to me they don't protect an area that is likely to get rashed in a get-off.

·
Registered
2001 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder
19 Posts
Bought my first pair of leather chaps and received them today. After 35+ years of riding I thought I'd give this a try since I know better than to try to convince myself to wear armored motorcycle pants. The pair I received are from LeatherUp and were surprising inexpensive for the heavy leather, and quality stitching that they are. But I will admit that it took me a minute to figure out how to put them on. Not quite like putting a pair of pants on, but I think that they will add a degree of safety for me. I think I could even wear them over a pair of shorts rather than jeans. I had to cut about 6 inches off the bottom to make them wearable, but that should not be a problem. I wonder whether or not I should buy a set of spurs since wearing these makes me feel like a cowboy. Hopefully my motorcycle will not leave piles of poop behind us like a horse.
If you wear your chaps over shorts and wear spurs I don’t think you’ll look like a cowboy 😁

·
American Legion Rider
25,887 Posts
If you wear your chaps over shorts and wear spurs I don’t think you’ll look like a cowboy 😁
And who cares? If it's hot, shorts are appropriate and are much cooler. And if you wear spurs too, you can get off your motorcycle and jump on a horse if the need is there. So...so what? When it comes down to it, is it really any of your business what someone wears as long as it isn't directly affecting you.JMHO

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
2001 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder
19 Posts
And who cares? If it's hot, shorts are appropriate and are much cooler. And if you wear spurs too, you can get off your motorcycle and jump on a horse if the need is there. So...so what? When it comes down to it, is it really any of your business what someone wears as long as it isn't directly affecting you.JMHO
You are absolutely right. You should be able to wear what you want. I was just picturing the type of shorts you would wear under your chaps that would go well with spurs. Leather shorts, jean shorts, cargo shorts, dress shorts, basketball shorts, etc. I don’t ride a horse but I personally have ridden my motorcycle with shorts and flip flops even on the freeway. 😊

·
American Legion Rider
25,887 Posts
I personally have ridden my motorcycle with shorts and flip flops even on the freeway. 😊
Not much different than riding without a helmet. It's a choice everyone should have. I personally won't go that far but I will ride with shorts and chaps and yes, boots, on these hot Texas days. Maybe I'll start a new fashion trend. :rolleyes: Nah, I carry a pair of slip-on shoes when I ride like that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've wore shorts under my chaps on several occasions. Every once-and-awhile it does get warm in Alberta. Not often, but occasionally!

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,479 Posts
I was just picturing the type of shorts you would wear under your chaps that would go well with spurs. Leather shorts, jean shorts, cargo shorts, dress shorts, basketball shorts, etc.

The obvious choice would be a speedo

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,479 Posts
Or a G-STRING like the Sturgis Ladies do!😱
Sam:eek:

This made a flash back to a picture I saw on another forum. It was one of those wrinkly old Sturgis women with a tattoo on her belly(getting to be large) that said 'boner garage' with arrows pointing south...

I guess I haven't fully deleted it from my mind yet🤮

1 - 20 of 25 Posts