Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm 19 around 5'6 and weight about 130. I'm a really big fan of the yamaha R series ever since I was a child. Once I heard that yamaha was releasing a 300cc R class bike I was excitited. Until I watched some reviews on 250cc and 300cc motorcycles. They all say "this bike will bore you" I don't wanna invest $4999 on a bike that I'm gonna get bored with in 3 months. So I was snooping around craigslist and found a used 2007 yamaha r6 for only $1900. Keep in mind this is my first time ever riding a motorcycle and I never used a clutch in my life. I have a job but what one should I get? I want to be safe and really don't feel the need to speed just want something to toy around on on the weekend. I probably will never go past a 600cc bike in the future due to the fact you don't really need that IMO. But feel free to help me out guys and girls.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As far as getting bored with the bike, if you want to run in a straight line, yes a small bike can become boring. On the other hand, if you want to really learn to ride on anything beyond a straight line check this guy out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKDN3okg4ko
I ride a 1731cc touring type bike but would love to have a small 250cc bike for around town use.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Since you posted basically the SAME question in 2 different places, I'll just cut and paste my SAME answer:

This question gets asked here about once a week.

No, a 250 or 300 bike is not "too small" for you and no you will not "outgrow" it in a couple of months.

40 years ago a 175 was considered a "big bike' and a 500 a monster.

As someone who rides a 1400cc sport/touring bike, I've considered moving back DOWN to a 250cc to improve my riding skills.

If you spent every weekend at the track and took innumerable riding classes, indeed, in six months your SKILL level might be where you'd want a 600cc bike.

Problem today is everybody is too godD8mn impatient. You have to be a novice rider awhile, simply buying a bigger faster bike doesn't make you a better rider. What it WILL do is intimidate you when you realize you ain't got the skills you need to ride it safely and ..enjoyably.

Or it will KILL you. Want pictures of testosterone-laden noobs who died racing 600cc and liter bikes on public roadways?

Buy a 250 Rebel, Ninja, or 300Ninja or R3 and ENJOY being a noob for awhile instead of pining for the day you can scrape elbows on The Snake on an R6.

CAN I GET SOME "AMENS" from the inmates?

·
Premium Member
6,531 Posts
2 posts

Appears you asked the same question twice.

An R6 is the wrong bike for a beginner.
It is the wrong bike for most everyone, save a few folks that have a specific need. And the need is not riding around town.

Unkle Crusty*

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
I think we should turn this thread over to Hawk to deal with the Askholes.

There seems to be an infinite supply.

He can simply cut and paste his stock answer, since NONE of them apparently ever read the FAQ / Sticky.

And maybe a link to that video of the guy riding the go-kart track on a 250...
that's powerful medicine...

·
Premium Member
6,531 Posts
A different twist.

Different subject but same kind of question.
I would like to learn how to surf. I can not swim very well. I have been told I would get bored very quickly if I surfed the 3 foot waves on the South Shore. So I was thinking about going to the North Shore when the waves are up. What do you think?

The references are for Oahu Hawaii.
Lot of service men on R&R have drowned up there. The waves at Sunset break at around twenty feet. But young guys with little experience, flirt with danger and lose.

I have seen sooooooo many squirrels at the track. I used to be the rider inspector. They are a danger to themselves and other riders. Had one crash right in front of me. I rode right over the top. Have photos.

So sorry if I am scaring off the original poster. I will offer whatever advice I can. Do not be afraid.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Alright, alright...l'll set the new guy straight...thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!!

The question you asked was, "Which one should l buy?" The correct answer to that question is...neither.

I would go find a decent Kawasaki Ninja 250, somewhere in the 2002-2008 range, for about $1500-$2000. If someone dropped it once or twice, that is okay, so long as it is in good running condition and everything is in fine working order. The reason is, because you are going to drop it yourself. Buy that R3 for $5000 and within 6 months it will be worth $2800 because you spilled it, LIKE WE ALL HAVE, and now it is scraped up and no longer in new condition. Buy a good inexpensive used bike, ride it for a year or two, and then go buy a pretty new bike.

And if you still aren't convinced, go read the thread entitled "Don't be an askhole"

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
To echo the previous comments about an R6 being a HORRIBLE choice for a first bike, I would run away FAST from any 2007 year middleweight listed below $4000, let alone below $2k.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Honestly, I do hope he comes back. There is just so much good info to be had here. Even veteran riders talk about learning things from other forum members. It is good to discourage a new rider from getting too powerful of a bike but we also need to try to steer them toward good safe riding habits. It doesn't look like he's been here since 12-29 though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts