Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 41 years old man that has decided (convinced my wife actually) to learn how to drive a motorcycle and I’m between these two options; rebel 2020 and Neo Cafe 650. The idea at the moment is to learn obviously and be able to make short/medium distance trips with my wife.
I know at the end is me who decide but advises would be highly appreciated.
Thanks I’m advance and regards to all,
Jóse

·
Registered
775 Posts
Lots of experienced riders say "1rst bike - 2nd Hand, 2nd bike - 1rst Owner", and I agree.

There's an old saying, "There are two kinds of riders; those who have gone down, and those who are going down". Those first few days, weeks and months of riding can come with quite a few little scrapes and drops, many of which are very minor, but which are a LOT easier to take in stride on a bike that's already imperfect.

With a $1000 bike, it's very difficult to do more than $1000 worth of damage to it, and you probably won't be tempted to save the bike with your own skin. With a $6200 or $9200 first bike, … well. Buying a first bike new is nothing I'd ever suggest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Simple decision. If you’re under 5’6” consider the rebel 500. I’d go for the 650 with the 4 cylinder. It’s actually a very friendly bike that won’t overwhelm a new rider nor bore someone more experienced. My wife has a rebel and I ride it occasionally, but it’s not very comfortable or fun imo.
Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lots of experienced riders say "1rst bike - 2nd Hand, 2nd bike - 1rst Owner", and I agree.

There's an old saying, "There are two kinds of riders; those who have gone down, and those who are going down". Those first few days, weeks and months of riding can come with quite a few little scrapes and drops, many of which are very minor, but which are a LOT easier to take in stride on a bike that's already imperfect.

With a $1000 bike, it's very difficult to do more than $1000 worth of damage to it, and you probably won't be tempted to save the bike with your own skin. With a $6200 or $9200 first bike, … well. Buying a first bike new is nothing I'd ever suggest.
Thanks jhonnyvee but we’re I live I don’t have a lot of choices as second hand bike , also second hand bike is pretty much cash paid (didn’t find anything below 4K) and make me the owner so if I don’t like it or want another I need to sell it while the others offer me the leasing option, no initial quote so if don’t like it after one year I can give it back and pay a fee I guess but no more hassle. But definitely I agree with your advise and I’ll continue looking for a second hand deal during March and see if anything good appears. Thanks !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Simple decision. If you’re under 5’6” consider the rebel 500. I’d go for the 650 with the 4 cylinder. It’s actually a very friendly bike that won’t overwhelm a new rider nor bore someone more experienced. My wife has a rebel and I ride it occasionally, but it’s not very comfortable or fun imo.
Good luck
Hello Kleinr, That was my only doubt as I’m 6’1 , I love the style of the rebel and looks to me like easier to ride as it’s lighter but it felt a bit small and I’m thinking that after one year driving could feel even smaller. Thanks for the advise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts