Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone, just a couple of questions for you all.

I am looking into buying a new bike, which would be my first bike. I am also looking into the used bike market, but that is not what this post is intended to pertain to.

I would like to buy American, and I have been looking at the 'Sportster Superlow' and the 'Sportster Iron 883' by Harley Davidson, both being 2014 models (nice warranty when you buy new I hear).

Which would you advise for a beginner? I am 6'5'', 210 pounds, strong but not a he-man by any means.

Additionally, what are some other American made bikes of similar price AND quality.

Feel free to point anything I'm missing out, thanks.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
You won't find American-made motorcycles at the same price as a Sportster when buying new.

There are some excellent-quality Japanese and British motorcycles that compete directly with the Sportsters.

·
Registered
417 Posts
First off, welcome ez! Since you are 6'5" if you haven't already done a test ride, check to see if the Sportie is comfortable for you. You may need to get forward controls put on since you are tall, which definitely can be done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
6' 5" on a sporty 883 ?? Better take it for a ride. I believe you will find that you are all cramped up. It's to small for your frame.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If you want an American bike, check out the Victory line. They are built in Iowa much like the HDs are built in Wisconsin. They also offer entry level bikes but not small displacement bikes. The 2014 line is all 106 cubic inch engines with lots of different body styles. I ride a Vision but that is a touring bike and not what you want. I would suggest you look at the Cross Roads or maybe even the Vegas. Most of the Vics also have adjustable foot controls so getting a good fit to your body proportions is easier than on many other bikes.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Since you are a (tall) first timer, a lighter bike would create an ideal learning platform for you. Sadly, there are no American made bikes like this. A Sportster is not light, and they are likely too cramped for you.
You might would consider altering your outlook, and as much as we like to buy American, sometimes you have to widen your possible selections to make due. Take a look at the Kawasaki Versys, or the Suzuki VStrom 650. They are ideal for a tall rider. At any rate, sit on some different bikes to see what's a good fit.
Did you take the MSF course?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts