Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 6’5” (~194cm) and the Levis jeans I buy are 33” inseam. I am trying to find a bike for myself.

My bike background:
2011 - my bike license, 1 month on GSX750f (~650km) - most of the time I was more scared than learning on it.
2018 May - rental bikes:
- 1 day on CBF600s (~300km) - first contact with bike after 7 years. I was scared good portion of the time, was trying to minimise the number of stops out of fear of stopping/starting
- 1 day on Virago 525 (~300km) - after an hour or two it was total chill, but quickly it turned out the bike was to small for me and my legs started aching
- 2 days on DragStar 650 Classic (~500km) - after a day on Virago, this one no longer scared me with its size. I rode it with no fear, relaxed and comfortable. Unfortunately, it made me realise that cruisers are not for me, because 1: they lack emotions and dynamics generated by GSX and CBF, and 2: after couple hundred kilometers I get lower backache due to riding position.
- 20 minutes of test drive on TDM850 - full chill, the fear I felt on CBF was nowhere to be found. But the bike seemed lacking dynamics and responsiveness, but this was probably due to it being a wreck with unregulated engine.

After few weeks of research, I ended up with choice between XJ600, TDM850 and Suzuki XF650. My use will be recreation, learning and a longer trip (300-600km) every weekend.

XF650 - seems ideal but has uninspiring appearance, it also is a bit too low for a street-enduro. It also is quite rare so difficult to find in my parts.
TDM850 - comfortable, looks decent and not puny next to me, but I am afraid of its weight and handling it in town and at low speeds.
XJ600s - seems to be devoid of those issues, also is the cheapest of the lot - I don’t want to spend much on a bike I will probably lay down more than once. However I have doubts regarding the comfort for a guy of my height (I am only 80kg weight, though).

Would you be able to share your opinions, especially if you have ridden xj600 and are of similar height?

· Registered
5,675 Posts
I am 6’5” (~194cm) and the Levis jeans I buy are 33” inseam. I am trying to find a bike for myself.

My bike background:
2011 - my bike license, 1 month on GSX750f (~650km) - most of the time I was more scared than learning on it.
2018 May - rental bikes:
- 1 day on CBF600s (~300km) - first contact with bike after 7 years. I was scared good portion of the time, was trying to minimise the number of stops out of fear of stopping/starting
- 1 day on Virago 525 (~300km) - after an hour or two it was total chill, but quickly it turned out the bike was to small for me and my legs started aching
- 2 days on DragStar 650 Classic (~500km) - after a day on Virago, this one no longer scared me with its size. I rode it with no fear, relaxed and comfortable. Unfortunately, it made me realise that cruisers are not for me, because 1: they lack emotions and dynamics generated by GSX and CBF, and 2: after couple hundred kilometers I get lower backache due to riding position.
- 20 minutes of test drive on TDM850 - full chill, the fear I felt on CBF was nowhere to be found. But the bike seemed lacking dynamics and responsiveness, but this was probably due to it being a wreck with unregulated engine.

After few weeks of research, I ended up with choice between XJ600, TDM850 and Suzuki XF650. My use will be recreation, learning and a longer trip (300-600km) every weekend.

XF650 - seems ideal but has uninspiring appearance, it also is a bit too low for a street-enduro. It also is quite rare so difficult to find in my parts.
TDM850 - comfortable, looks decent and not puny next to me, but I am afraid of its weight and handling it in town and at low speeds.
XJ600s - seems to be devoid of those issues, also is the cheapest of the lot - I don’t want to spend much on a bike I will probably lay down more than once. However I have doubts regarding the comfort for a guy of my height (I am only 80kg weight, though).

Would you be able to share your opinions, especially if you have ridden xj600 and are of similar height?
You aren't from America are you? After reading your thread I kept thinking, "I have heard of an XJ600 before but I can't place it." I did a Wikipedia search and found it to be the same as what we call an FJ600. This was my first sportbike crush when I was about 13. My dad had brought home a motorcycle magazine with the '85 FJ600 on the cover, and the caption said, "Yamaha FJ600: Less Weight, Less Wait." I thought that was the catchiest line I had ever heard, and was immediately drawn to it. What year bike are you looking at?

I have never ridden one. My last bike was its big brother, the FJ1200. I have looked into them though. Everything I read suggested that they were middle of the road sport bikes. By today's standards, they would not be anything like a 600Gixxer or Ninja. That being said, if you grab a handful of throttle things could happen fast.

From a physical standpoint, it would fit you well. The 600 is actually a hair taller than the 1200. The 1200 was really comfortable for me to ride, and I am 6'3". 34" inseam.

Something you may find, if the 600 is anything like the 1200, is that the seat isn't super comfortable. I had purchased a new Corbin seat and was just about to replace the old one when I crashed the bike. Just something to think about. Additionally, the 1200 came stock with 16" wheels I believe, and there are very few tires available for it. There is a huge cult following online where people have figured out other wheels that can be swapped out with a little machining and whatnot. For instance, I believe that late 90's FZR750 wheels fit perfectly. Brakes are often swapped out for better discs as well. These are all things that are done for the 1200. I am not saying the 600 has similar issues, but it is something I would look into before purchase. I wish you well, and please let us know what you decide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.