Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go.........hang on!!

-The shifter has a definite and solid engagement. like the difference between
tapping your knuckle on wood, -vs- slamming your fist on the table.
-I am fully straight with my arms on this bike. There was some elbow bend
on my previous bike, but not with THESE handlebars.
-Try as I might, my brain just can't absorb the Security System Set Up, and
will be seeking some training from someone at the Dealership.
-The bike feels solid as a granite rock underneath me.
-Those 1450cc's are incredibly responsive!!
-I'm sitting perhaps an inch or two lower on the HD than the Shadow. when
I come to a stop, my legs are bent and I'm flat-footed.
-I DEFINITELY notice the lack of sound of my pipes at 50 MPH or more, due
to the wind (since I'm now minus a windshield).
-Without a passenger backrest, (which can be remedied some day of course)
I have no storage.
-I was surprised to learn that HD doesn't provide a tool kit, but talks about
adjusting things in the Owners Manual.
-Tried my fork lock for the first time today. Had to insert, push and turn
the lock from a 9 oclock position to a 12 Noon position. Worked fine.
-I'm a bit self conscious about the pipes at 7 AM in the mornings (like this
morning. I don't want to piss anyone off, but I'm sure they can hear me
(Screamin Eagle pipes) a good ways away.
-I'm amazed at how quickly I became "one" with the bike. The way it
responds to my input on turns and avoiding obstacles.
-the five gallon gas tank should give me over 120 miles between fill ups,
right? LOVE the gas gauge on it!!! Hope it's accurate!!!
-The vibration everyone talks about, when sitting at a light, isn't all THAT
annoying!!
-The angled rise of the back of the seat is very supportive of my lower back
and I find it very comfortable, albeit very firm!
-People at work came out to hear it start up today!! I wonder why?? (lol).

-Soupy

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Does this mean you are keeping the bike?? I'm going to be good and keep my thoughts about that to myself. By the way, it really is a beautiful bike and it sounds like it responds to your inputs very well. Congrats!

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going (because of a promise I made to the wife) to the Dealership in the morning, to ask them if they would be willing to reverse the purchase (or cancel it). I don't know if they will.

If they won't.........the bike stays with me.
If they will...........I will call for a ride.

I HAVE to put my marriage first! It REALLY pushed her over the edge of leaving when I brought that bike home, no matter HOW much I may think I deserve it.

Last night, in a quiet moment, she was saying things that indicated that she felt we could "manage it," and that showed some concession, but I want to be true to my word, and at least TRY to negotiate out of the deal. It's only been 48 hours.

Those of you who work for a HD Dealership could chime in and talk about the likelihood that they would allow me to cancel the purchase; I just don't know.

I took a "Vacation Day" tomorrow, so we'll see.

-Soupy

G

·
Glad to hear you like it. It is a nice looking bike and I like the color of it. So are you keeping it?

EDIT: Never mind you replied just before me. :)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I HAVE to put my marriage first! It REALLY pushed her over the edge of leaving when I brought that bike home, no matter HOW much I may think I deserve it.
This is the same wife that already left you once to go find some guy she knew a long time ago, yes? Think about this thing for a minute dude: If you hadn't bought a motorcycle your wife would be the loving person you married and everything would be warm and beautiful, BUT...you bought a motorcycle, so now the marriage is so bad and horrible that she just can't stay with you any longer? I'm guessing her threats to leave have nothing to do with you buying a motorcycle.

Those of you who work for a HD Dealership could chime in and talk about the likelihood that they would allow me to cancel the purchase; I just don't know.
I don't know if dealerships have changed much, but unless they have I can offer you a hearty welcome to the Harley riding (and single) world!

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
I was trying to think of a tactful way to say that, Eye....

Most states have a 72 hour window. You can take it back and get your old one back, usually.

I come across as a hard-ass sometimes. Comes from 20 years in the oilpatch.

I am an ashhole, I own it... but I was really trying to be nice, and wound up not posting.

If a motorcycle is the deciding factor to whether a marriage will last or not, I fear it already has not.

And it's not just a bike... you had a bike, just traded for a different one.

Some gals are dead-set against them as a whole, I can almost understand that...

If it's financial, jeez, it's a 12 year old Softail... I can send the sheet on what I've spent so far on my '14 Limited, I don't even let MY wife see that one, and she rides....

Again, not trying to be an ass, even though I'm good at it....

I hope it works out the best for you.

G

·
Soupy I never knew about all this with your wife. That changes my opinion and ride the Harley and ride it hard. I thought I read everything in the forums but I guess I have missed it.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just finished a rather long response, and when I hit the "Post" button, it kicked me out. Dang it!!

-I don't want the "Single life" thank you
-I go to the Dealership to fix things if I can (the debt)
-My wife is more important to me, that "me"
-My wife's illness is killing her and she knows it. Thus the
drama.
-I am not immune from making bad choices.
-I love the bike.
-Maybe the wife will tell me again that I don't have to do this
today, but I want to at least try. It's honorable.
-Her threats & bad choices are driven by her fear of being
taken over by her M.S., like she already has been. I agree
that the "bike" is just a convenient thing to bitch about,
even though she's right about inccurring unnecessary debt.

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
You have probably read my post in the chat room so you know that I think you have every reason for a 72 hour buyers remorse refund. At least in this area, if a dealer did what they did, they saw you coming big time and laughed all the way to the bar to celebrate. Or at least the salesman and his buddies did. Maybe not the dealer. Good luck but I do think you have every reason on 2 (two) counts. Wife and charged WAY too much. But your location maybe different.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well THAT'S certainly a note that no-one else stated.....although I suppose is likely true.........that a 2004 Fatboy with 6,000 miles on it, shouldn't cost $12K; but I dunno.

Insofar as I'm in CT, and there tends to be higher prices in this over-priced State though, I'm no so sure.

-Soupy

·
Visionary
4,624 Posts
The bike vs wife drama is sad, that shouldnt happen but life isnt perfect and it does..however you work it out good luck.
Think 3 times before you do anything either way is the only advice I'll give...

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Story of my life.........impulse.

The Harley is home (again).

-Soupy

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Buyers remorse refund is for things bought at home in Oklahoma.
I know because I got screwed over by a Honda (car) dealership when I was early 20's. A fast talking salesman worked me over hard on my trade-in, it was legal, I was just too young and gullible to catch him.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My home. In fact, took it for a long ride this afternoon. Just got back in time to wash the cat!! (animal).

-Soupy

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
It's not the bike, it's the threat to your lifestyle. Instead of controlling you, she should be supporting you because if she doesn't, she will not have a happy end of life.

Sorry to be so blunt Soupy, but she is just trying to make you miserable because she can't find a way to make herself happy unless she is in control, and that isn't doing it either.

If she would allow you happiness, you would find it a lot easier to make her happy, but she is dead set against you being happy. Lay down the law and take whatever you get. Either way, you will be happier in the future, and so will she.

I made the mistake once of standing in your shoes. It took me several years to break free of the chains, and have had a very happy last 30 years, and am hoping for 30 more!

Hate me if you like, but I have been there, and it is not easy to fix until you try.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Luvs2Play: I want to pick up on ONE part of what you said, when you stated, "..........she can't find a way to make herself happy unless she is in control,.........."

In almost every case I am aware of, involving a person who has a serious life-threatening and debilitating disease, they reach a point where they feel helplessly destined for a life of limits and disease, and it (quite naturally) pisses them off.

They fight with themselves, and ultimately with everyone around them, trying to claw their way back to some sort of self-esteem. Depression, Suicidal Tendencies and other things begin to show up.

Sometimes, as a direct result of the disease (Lesions in the body along the spine and in the upper spine near the brain), like the M.S. my wife has, disturbs rational thought enough to manifest itself in illogical behavior and poor decision making.

As a Caregiver since 2006, when she was struck with her life-changing disease, I have learned first hand about how much a major disease can control and take over the person suffering, making them into someone else. Almost a Jeckle & Hyde scenario.

I tend to be (by nature) a person who cares deeply for the underprivileged, the down-trodden, the weaker ones. When it happens to be someone like my wife of 37 years who is the one suffering, it is all the MORE important for me to do anything and everything I can for them. To be long-suffering and have a thick skin, that is not easily offended.

It will continue to be my approach to my wife, as long as she is a part of my life. If she should succeed in some sort of attempt at self-destruction, as she attempted six months ago, or by her sudden propensity for risky behaviors of other types, then I have lost a soul mate as a direct result of the disease, and I will mourn the loss for the rest of MINE.

I bear the burden of mistakes "I" have made, along the way, but I want to be able to be at least the best caregiver I can be, and the most devoted to my commitment to her, above all else. Even if it goes unappreciated, distorted or downplayed by some irrational perspective on her part.

The buying of the bike, (in this case) was not done alone. I called her from the Dealership, seeking her guidance. She didn't stand in the way of it, nor spoke ill of it. In fact, her words "you can afford it," did not help me feel that it would be WRONG to buy the bike, although I WANTED it to be wrong, if it would hurt "us." You're right, of course......it is not just "the bike," but the "bike" is an easy target, in light of the bigger picture of debt.

Sorry for rambling,...............

-Soupy

1 - 20 of 61 Posts