Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. This the first step for my outfit, so please give me some pointers because I have no idea what's going on as a total newb, save that I am srs about ATGATT. I want a very 'low-key' outfit that will look in place either riding a sportsbike or a cruiser, so no power ranger/flashy/colorful outfits lol. I'm thinking black unless you guys think it really gets hot vs other colors. If there are some minor color or patterns, that's fine. Above all else, they must be safe and approved by the most organizations as possible.

For the helmet, it should ideally be both DOT and SNELL approved. I also prefer full-faced and non-modular helmets. However, I understand that modulars don't have SNELL approval? I also want a built-in sunshield as I think that it's safer than wearing my standalone sunglasses and of course more convenient to put on/off w/ just the flip of a switch...so based on the below brand/helmet I'm looking at right now (going for USD200), they must be modular...not sure if you guys have comments for modular vs reg...I personally don't see myself using that modular ftn much and I assume that they must be bulkier vs an otherwise same helmet...but alas for HJC, the sunshield only is available for their modular helmets. I prefer black color in keeping w/ my 'low-key' look and it must have a clear visor.

Not sure if this is a good choice or if you can think of better ones out there. If you have any comments on my above content or anything that might be useful, please let me know. TIA!

http://hjchelmets.com/hjca/ismax2_ismax2solid

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
The most most important thing in a helmet is fit over everything else.

Do you really want to dress in black? Bright hi-vis colors might be a better deal

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Any helmet that is modular, or that has a built in sun shield will NOT be SNELL approved.

I have a SHOEI GT-Air, that would pass SNELL, if they would approve helmets with a drop down sun shield, but it is not modular.

I absolutely love my helmet, one of the quietest on the market, and super comfortable.

The best thing to do is try on a bunch, every manufacturer and model are a bit different on the fit, what is awesome for me, may not fit you.....

HJC is a decent mid-grade helmet... I would go somewhere that carries a few brands, and try them all on.

...and mine is black.

:icon_cool:

·
Registered
257 Posts
+1 for the right fit being all important. Wife recently got a modular Fulmer with removable liner and built in shades, DOT approved and she loves it. I love it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The most most important thing in a helmet is fit over everything else.

Do you really want to dress in black? Bright hi-vis colors might be a better deal
Oh, yes, definitely will get one that fits. For sure!

I dunno, maybe my future jacket will have some reflective material on it, or elsewhere on my outfit.

Any helmet that is modular, or that has a built in sun shield will NOT be SNELL approved.
I'm curious is there a reason why? They just don't test modular helmets?

Other than for relative poorer-visibility, will having black be hotter for the head?

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
I'm curious is there a reason why? They just don't test modular helmets?
They are not as strong, in SNELL's opinion, as a regular full face. Do the math, it makes sense.

Other than for relative poorer-visibility, will having black be hotter for the head?
I work in South Texas, I rode 65 miles to get here this afternoon in 104º heat, with not a cloud in the sky.

The SHOEI GT-Air flows a ridiculous amount of air through the vents, I wear this helmet on my 130-140 mile per day commute because if I can answer the phone on my commute, it shortens my day by an hour. Otherwise I don't wear a helmet.

Being a slick-bald guy, I can say that wearing the helmet, at the end of the day, results in a cooler ride overall, by keeping the sun off my head.

Don't know if I answered your question...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are not as strong, in SNELL's opinion, as a regular full face. Do the math, it makes sense.
Agreed. That's too bad for me as I don't think that I need the ftn of a modular. Are there any reg helmets w/ the integrated sunshield?

·
Registered
886 Posts
In the helmet part in my opinion it should be full face over all others including modular. Simply for the reason of full head protection, a modular flip up face section may break off possibly taking part of your face with it as well as open face helmets and half helmets, gotta protect the head and face. Look on web based sites like Motorcycle Superstore, Revzilla or Chapparral, there are many good helmets to look at unless you have a well stocked shop that you can try on many different brands to find the right fit. For those website orders you will need a soft clothing type tape measure to get your size right, they should have info on how to measure. For the rest of the gear bright or high visibility colors are better unless you like basic black.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your helmet looks sick! Is it true you get what you pay for, since it's much more expensive than the HJCs? Very nice.

It's my head, so if it's worth it, I cannot imagine saving a few bucks but rather get the best. Very nice helmet!

In the helmet part in my opinion it should be full face over all others including modular. Simply for the reason of full head protection, a modular flip up face section may break off possibly taking part of your face with it as well as open face helmets and half helmets, gotta protect the head and face. Look on web based sites like Motorcycle Superstore, Revzilla or Chapparral, there are many good helmets to look at unless you have a well stocked shop that you can try on many different brands to find the right fit. For those website orders you will need a soft clothing type tape measure to get your size right, they should have info on how to measure. For the rest of the gear bright or high visibility colors are better unless you like basic black.
I tend to agree, it's weird the modular thing, esp since I don't have a use for it. I guess that I'd have to abandon HJC and look into other brands...unless integrated sunshields are a safety hazard as well?

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Your helmet looks sick! Is it true you get what you pay for, since it's much more expensive than the HJCs? Very nice.

It's my head, so if it's worth it, I cannot imagine saving a few bucks but rather get the best. Very nice helmet!
I believe you do get what you pay for....

...IF it fits

The SHOEI line is awesome. excellent comfortable liners that are 100% easily removable and washable, high-tech light weight shells, crystal clear screen, and mine came with a Pinlock, which others you have to buy an additional $50-80 shield, THEN pay $35 for the Pinlock...

And if you search, you can get them much less expensive. While I was shopping, there was an eBay seller selling my exact helmet for $349. Of course, sold out before I decided to buy. I went and made a deal with a local yammie-zuki-onda dealer, bought 2 (my wife's is the high dollar custom white/chameleon wings paint scheme) I gave $500 for mine, and $550 for hers.

The interior is completely interchangeable, a 2x fit me loose, but good on teh jaw and cheeks, a 1x fit perfect, except for the jaw and cheeks, so they swapped out the cheekpads to the narrower 2x version (31mm vs 35mm) and I have a custom perfect fit.

I would highly recommend going to a dealer (NOT Harley...) that sells different brands and trying them all on. An HJC I need a 2x, but the SHOEI fits me 1x. ICON I would likely need a 3x, but they didn't have one to try.

Cycle Gear is a good place to start, if there is one within riding distance...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, SafetyMan.

Btw, how do I go about trying on the different helmets, they have to open up new ones or they have 'testers'? Do they clean the insides regularly due to many fittings or that's something I have to not worry about?

PS You mention not going to Harley since I assume that they only have open-face helmets, right?

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Harley dealers have all sorts of helmets... full face, modulars, 3/4, half shells, extended half shells...

But they are usually OVERpriced... with their custom decals on them, and made by the mid-line manufacturers. A lot of them are fancy looking HJC's, with a SHOEI price tag. My local dealer also carries Sampson on the side.

There is nothing wrong with the mid-line manufacturers, but as I stated above, I do believe you get what you pay for.

When I was sizing, they let me try as many helmets as I wanted to.

If there is a bigger multi-brand dealer, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Victory dealer around you, they usually have the "normal" brands.

Cycle Gear is a good place too, but I don't know if they have them in Kanukistania.

Don't overlook the other brands, either, Arai, Shark, Bell, Icon, AGV, Schuberth, Scorpion...

Find one that fits snug (it will loosen when the liner breaks in) but doesn't pinch, if your head is more round, some may pinch the sides of your head, or if you are more oval, some may hurt your forehead.

When you find one that you THINK is right, wear it around the store for 15 or 20 minutes, shake your head, nod your head... it's a big purchase, and most won't take returns if you "change your mind" later. Make sure it fits.

Have I mentioned to try a lot on to be sure it fits?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
A few things l would like to comment on...

Fit is absolutely #1. If it doesn't fit, it won't be comfortable, and it will become more of a distraction than anything.

I went to my local CycleGear and tried on helmets. They have a lot of different brands and models, but not very many color schemes, so l found the model l wanted and then bought it online in the color scheme of my choice. It is an Arai Vector II, like this... http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...669&thid=JN.OQQK0DCsdDL325sQognhDA&ajaxhist=0

Do you get what you pay for? Yes...to a point. Is my $600 helmet twice as safe as a $300 helmet? I highly doubt it. I bought it because it was nice and bright, it fit great, and l loved the vents. And, to be honest, l think it looks really cool and l want to wear it when l ride.

Speaking of being bright...l think the best thing you can do for yourself as a new rider is to make yourself visible. I wear bright colors and my bike is colorful as well. Yes, loud pipes save lives, but not nearly as much as high visibility, in my opinion.

Ranking the brands is a bit unfair because of the whole fit thing. For instance, I have never found an HJC or a Bell helmet that fit me. Arai and Shoei fit me very well. But Soupy wears a Bell helmet and loves it. Turns out we all have different heads.

Also, it is my understanding that helmet companies are now making different models in different shapes as well, so you no longer can just say, "Arai helmets fit me great". This makes it even more important to try on lots of hats and make sure you get the one for you.

And the visor thing, l am going this week to get a tinted visor for my helmet. They make them that you can swap out, back and forth. You would not want to only have a tinted visor, because darkness happens everyday.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Ranking the brands is a bit unfair because of the whole fit thing. For instance, I have never found an HJC or a Bell helmet that fit me. Arai and Shoei fit me very well. But Soupy wears a Bell helmet and loves it. Turns out we all have different heads.
I agree 100% with this.

The visibility... no matter what you do or wear, you are invisible to John Q. Idiot in a cage.

I'm not against a hi-vis helmet, if that's what a man wants to wear. Nor am I against wearing a yellow safety vest, or reflective underwear...

I ride a big orange Harley Ultra Limited with a lot of extra lights added for visibility, but short of strobe lights, you're still invisible.

I choose to wear a black helmet, when I wear one.... matches my black sleeveless Tshirt.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think it's pretty common to shop for a helmet for a few weeks, maybe months. The selection is HUGE and to get the correct fitment and the options you want can feel like finding a needle in a haystack.

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
Dr. Hurt stated that even the $80 Pep Boys helmets (DOT only) would protect your head every bit as much as an expensive racing helmet... What you pay for is features, and brand name. Some features are worth every penny -- like ventilation!

Internal sun visors are nice -- really nice. But, they are not dark enough, IMO, so plan on wearing sunglasses beneath them. They add even more shading, on top of your sunglasses, which is actually quite nice. We went modular last time around, and we'll continue with them from here on out: easier to put eyeglasses/sunglasses on, as you can flip up the front half; the flip-up allows you to eat/drink without removing the helmet, as well as getting more air, without removal. They are DOT rated, which is good enough for me. YMMV.

Check the SNELL requirements. They basically are the same as DOT (G-force transmission to the head), since the 2010 standard was set. Even though they won't pass a modular, I'm OK with that.

There are many reflective decals available, to customize a black helmet -- and they also make them far more visible in low light situations, like rain, fog, and night-riding. They can be found on places like Amazon, or sites listed on WebBikeWorld's review page. I've used a kit from Street Glo, which was not easy to apply, but it worked well enough, and it looked decent, IMO, as well. YMMV. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sunshields aren't dark enough to replace sunglasses?

Tbh, I'm not too worried about being seen or not as I plan to ride mainly in fairweather conditions.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts