Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
They started designing and working on the motor in 1901. The first bicycle they actually put a motor on wasn't until 1903, and it was probably taken apart as it didn't have enough power to climb hills. The second machine, with a purpose built frame and a better motor, was also made in 1903. I've heard that one is in the Museum in Milwaukee.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies guys, but i am not talking about the first days of the established company but before when it was a dream to a couple of teenagers ,but you really need to look at the link I posted this website showswhen they were 15 they were experimenting with other made motors on bicycles I also have other websites that say the same thing which I can post but please read the link I posted here before replying, you may not be aware, I. Know I wasn't before I read into these websites, thank you

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I've only ever heard the MoCo mention one bicycle with the 1901 engine that was assembled in 1903, before there was a company formed. I'd guess they'd be the ones who would know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've only ever heard the MoCo mention one bicycle with the 1901 engine that was assembled in 1903, before there was a company formed. I'd guess they'd be the ones who would know.
Thanks for the info but just look at the link I posted, they shows they made prototypes before 1901

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Your link also says that Bill S returned after college in 1907 to start working on the idea of building a motorized bicycle. ;) But that's the problem with reading stuff on the Internet: It may not always be 100% factual. Where did your website get its information? Who knows....

If they did play around with mounting engines on their bicycles when they were teenagers those attempts likely were later taken apart to re-use the parts and try again. In any event, I've never heard that any of those first attempts still exist today. I have only ever heard of the 1901 engine and nothing before.

Your best source of info would be right from the horse's mouth though. (Or, hog's mouth as it were.) Call 414-287-2789, that's the HD museum, and explain what you want to know, and see if they'll put you in touch with the curator or head archivist or somebody like that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK well thanks guy yes someone pm me with a phone number and I spoke to someone that agrees they did make prototypes before 1901 but none have surfaced. He said unless you knew a family member like he said he does then history wouldn't be there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts