Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have been looking to see what is available out there in a dual sport. From what I am seeing I am leaning towards the XR650 because of reliability. I am 6'8" and 320 lbs and not sure what modification would have to be done as far as suspension/fork for my weight. I have been doing some research and it seems like height of bike would be ok but I think I would have a lot of sag in the suspension. Any advice would be appreciated. I found a couple I like but I live in a remote area and its not a short drive to any motorcycle shop to check any out. Look forward to your insight. Thank you.

Mike

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Welcome. Are you a brand new rider? If so I would definitely take a new rider safety course.

The newer Honda XR650's are a good choice. They are quite dependable and a very good bike all around. The power is reasonable for a new rider as well. I think it would be a good choice for you.

As far as the suspension goes, the new ones have 16 damper settings on front and 20 on the back, so you can adjust for weight. I would imagine they have had some level of adjustability for several years. If you are a brand new rider I would not buy a brand new bike, as you will likely drop it a couple times in the learning process. My first street bike was a Honda Sabre. I pulled into a parking spot that had a huge oil spot in it. It was dark and rainy and I didn't see it, my foot slipped and down she went. It happens. It only hurt my pride because I had only paid $700 for the bike. Most new riders buy a bike that is a few years old, so most of the new bike depreciation has already occurred

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.