Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I realized a lifelong dream; to own a Yamaha V-max. After a day of riding it, I have formed some opinions on the bike I feel I should share.

The first thing I should mention is that it handles way differently than the Honda Shadow 750. Even my ACE, which handles way better than stock, feels completely different. That being said, it actually handles pretty well. It is definitely not a supersport in how it handles, but it does seem much better sorted than some have stated. (Maybe the reviewers were used to sportbikes.) It turns in well, seems smooth through the turn, and yet is pretty stable at speed. I can see nothing to complain about here. I think it could be better though if I got away from the Dunlop 404 tires it is currently wearing. A bike like this running biased ply tires? WHAT THE HELL??? I will spend coin on better tires when it comes time for them.

Brakes are decent as well. They could be better though by swapping out the stock brake lines and pads. Braided stainless and some premium compound pads. That should give me better feel at the lever and pedal, and possibly help it stop better.

Power. It has it. IN SPADES. Still, it is controllable power, as long as I am easy on the go-faster doo-hickie in my right hand. There is a NICE surge in power after the tach climbs past 6k, but there is also a decent amount of torque down low, even at 2500 RPM. She does pull hard. Still, I believe that there should be more. There is a reason for that feeling.

This bike idles low. 1000 RPM to be exact. And the idle is rough. Not what I expect from this bike. Also as I said, as hard as it pulls, it does not seem to be over 100hp as it is supposed to have. My guess is at the minimum it needs a good carb cleaning, where is it did sit all winter. Also probably syncing the carbs, setting the idle to where it should be, and maybe even re-jetting. I should check the air filter as well, just to make sure that's clean.

One thing I do like it that it is a comfortable bike. It is almost too tall for me, but still doable. The pegs are exactly where I would want them, so I have a good bend to the knees. There are a few changes I need to do though to make it more comfy for me. One change will be the grips. I am a big fan of the Kuryakyn Iso grips, finding the added girth to be more comfortable than the normal narrow grips that come on it. Also want to add throttle bosses. Those right there are one of the best things you can add short of cruise control. I'm debating between using the ones I took off the Shadow, or spending a little bit of coin for the contoured ones, with their bigger pads. Also, I want the Mini-dagger pegs. The semi-flat ones that come stock just do not fit well to my boots. The Mini-daggers, on the other hand, will fit that space in front of the heel perfectly.

Drag bars are another thing I wish to add to the bike in the future. I want a little more forward lean, and that would do nicely. In order to do this, I may have to swap the switch housings for the controls from an 06 R6. They're more compact, and the throttle housing is separate, which would allow me to rotate it so the cables do not collide with the air box cover.

I do have to say that if you do NOT know the trick for accessing your fuel nozzle, you AINT gonna find it. Fortunately, I was able to find someone who knew just where the two levers were to release the portion of the seat that conceals the nozzle. Oh, if you are used to running the el-cheapo 87 octane stuff, forget that ***** with this bike. 91 minimum. For me, that's no change, because that is what I was running in the Shadow.

All in all, I am quite satisfied with my new machine. In some ways, I will miss the ACE, but I think that today, I picked up a worthy successor.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Congratulations Dash!! I'm happy for you. Sounds like you know what you want to do to make it "your" bike. It sure is nice looking.

·
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations Dash!! I'm happy for you. Sounds like you know what you want to do to make it "your" bike. It sure is nice looking.
Thank you. I am very pleased overall. I think this bike will last me for a good, long time.

·
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulations Dash! Now you'll have to get Eye to touch up his drawing ...

Maybe you could use it as your avatar.
Actually, I might see if my friend, Kim, could do something with my OC (Original Character) on my bike. He's a Pegasus who is missing his left wing, so a motorcycle is the closest he'll ever get to flying now!

·
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great choice, VMax's are amazing machines, and with a new set of pipes sound like a dragster ready to tear up the quarter mile!
Well, I was thinking of new pipes. I would like to change the sound a bit, but I really do not wish to go louder if I don't have to. I would like a subtle change in design of the exhaust, to change the look a bit maybe. To be honest, this machine needs nothing in the sound department.

On a side note, I suspect that I have found the cause of the rough idle, cold-bloodedness, and perceived lower power. I opened the air box, and the K&N air filter looked to have been soaked over night in a bucket of filter oil, and not given a light spray as it should have received. Seriously! The filter should have been a light pink in color, and it was actually a purplish color!

Easy enough fix. Also, it looks as if checking valve clearance will be easy enough (maybe a bit time consuming with the increased number of valves) on this bike, once I get a couple tools.

In a moment, I think I shall head outside and see if I can get more gunk out of that filter. Also, I wanna see if I have clearance to try something. I am gonna take a look at flipping the bar around, to see what clearance I would have that way.

MOAR PICS COMING SOON!

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Dash, please give me feedback on this. I've read lots of posts that K&N air filters were not recommended for bikes. Have you had them? Are they good, bad, etc.

·
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dash, please give me feedback on this. I've read lots of posts that K&N air filters were not recommended for bikes. Have you had them? Are they good, bad, etc.
When oiled PROPERLY, they do increase the available flow into the engine, assuming that the rest of the system, from the intake to the exhaust will support added flow. Also, with proper care, they DO last forever. You just have to clean them once a year or so. In my opinion, they are well worth the little added effort in increased initial cost.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
We've put one on every diesel pickup we've ever owned & they were fine. I have read in different places that if you put one on a bike you need to have it "retuned" kind of like if you put a different exhaust on a bike. True or not??? Had thought about 1 for my bike, but decided not to. Thanks for your knowledge.

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
Well, I was thinking of new pipes. I would like to change the sound a bit, but I really do not wish to go louder if I don't have to. I would like a subtle change in design of the exhaust, to change the look a bit maybe. To be honest, this machine needs nothing in the sound department.

On a side note, I suspect that I have found the cause of the rough idle, cold-bloodedness, and perceived lower power. I opened the air box, and the K&N air filter looked to have been soaked over night in a bucket of filter oil, and not given a light spray as it should have received. Seriously! The filter should have been a light pink in color, and it was actually a purplish color!

Easy enough fix. Also, it looks as if checking valve clearance will be easy enough (maybe a bit time consuming with the increased number of valves) on this bike, once I get a couple tools.

In a moment, I think I shall head outside and see if I can get more gunk out of that filter. Also, I wanna see if I have clearance to try something. I am gonna take a look at flipping the bar around, to see what clearance I would have that way.

MOAR PICS COMING SOON!

I cant wait to see what your V Max will look like!

·
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We've put one on every diesel pickup we've ever owned & they were fine. I have read in different places that if you put one on a bike you need to have it "retuned" kind of like if you put a different exhaust on a bike. True or not??? Had thought about 1 for my bike, but decided not to. Thanks for your knowledge.
If it is injected, the odds are it will not need retuning. If carbed, it all depends on your intake and exhaust as well.

·
American Legion Rider
18,620 Posts
Congrats Dash. It's going to be hard to not twist that right wrist though!!!:biggrin:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,502 Posts
Just keep all 4 wheels on the ground and you will be okay. You do have training wheels on it, right?

·
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How many here hug the tank with your knees while riding? I do. Unfortunately for me, that can get uncomfortable for me. In this image, you can see how my knees are in relation to the two scoops on the sides. Normally, they actually are slightly further forward, and it is not that comfortable on my bony knees.

Yeah, I need some sort of padding there. Right where I have circled:

I'll be cutting and shaping sections of ultra high density seatfoam and covering them in black vinyl. I will have to make sure that I have a spot cut out for the key for the air box cover.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts