Motorcycle Forum banner

First cruiser

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Dodsfall 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have been riding a Buell Blast since August of '08. I am ready to buy my first "keeper". To make a long story short, I want to get a cruiser so that I can comfortably take my wife on long rides. I have rented the HD Heritage Classic. I like the look of the bike and how it handles going in a straight line, but I do not feel that it is responsive at all on the turns. It is not nimble. Is that because I am new or am I picking up on something that is intrinsic to the Heritage itself? Also, can anyone recommend a cruiser type bike that is nimble, yet comfortable for a 2-up? Does anyone know how the Yamaha V-Stars compare to the Heritage Classic?

Thanks for your input.
NewbieKing

#2 ·
A bigger, heavier bike just won't be as nimble as the Blast you are used to riding. There aren't too many bikes that are. :D Some of the smaller VStars will be more nimble, as well as the smaller counterparts in the Vulcan or Shadow line. You could also look into some of the Dynas from Harley.

#4 ·
Is riding 2-up your primary concern? If so you should check into sport-tourers as well, since they will comfortably ride 2-up while still having good performance in the twisties. I really love my Kawasaki Concours C10, I prefer it over the newer style sport-tourers. Otherwise I will say that I don't have much experience with harleys but the V-Star 1100 is a popular and versatile bike, my dad has one and it works well as a naked single-seater or a dressed tourer and everything in between. But, you're just not gonna get that nimble sportbike feel from a cruiser. The sport-tourers get pretty close.

#5 ·
A cruiser will always feel more sluggish in the turns compared to a sportbike. The low rake angle and smaller front wheel make sportbikes fall into the turns easier than a cruiser. A cruiser like to self correct and try to stay upright, so it will take a little more effort and time to get it leaned over.

#6 ·
I like the look of the bike and how it handles going in a straight line, but I do not feel that it is responsive at all on the turns. It is not nimble. Is that because I am new or am I picking up on something that is intrinsic to the Heritage itself? Also, can anyone recommend a cruiser type bike that is nimble, yet comfortable for a 2-up? Does anyone know how the Yamaha V-Stars compare to the Heritage Classic?

Thanks for your input.
NewbieKing
LOL. Heritage is much bigger and heavier. With practice though, you will be able to do tight U-turns and figure 8's with your front wheel almost locked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.