Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI ALL,

This is my first post and here we are with the presentation. I am Matteo, Italian 28 years old boy from Germany.

I am here to primarily ask for advices about buying my first bike, but along with it I would like to learn as much as I can about this new world I am about to approach.

Let's assume I have never ridden a bike in my life. I would like to buy a naked bike and my dreams go towards a Ducati Monster. Having said that, here this is my reasonable list, sorted by priority:

Yamaha MT 07 (ABS): I watched a lot of reviews online. It looks like a nice bike for beginners, it is nice looking, cheap, "eco-friendly", not so thirsty and also maintenance should be cheaper than the other brands. I could afford it new.

Ducati Monster 696 (ABS): I am not afraid about taking this one. My heart goes towards it. I have just been said that it needs a lot of maintenance due to the strong vibrations given by the lovely sound. I would buy it second hand.

Triumph Street Triple (ABS): I just like the shape, do not know that much about it. I would buy it second hand.

Yamaha XJ6: It looks nice as well and it has the same characteristics, more or less, than the first one. I would buy it new or second hand.

Considering this, I would buy my first bike new just because I am not an expert and I could not know how to deal with a private seller and evaluate a second hand bike, ruling thus scams out. Moreover, as a first bike I am more looking if it is nice looking rather than at the performances. I think an aggressive bike might endanger my early experiences.

What do you think? Suggest any other model?
Thank you in advance for your words!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think most here would advise a smaller bike to learn on because they're more nimble and forgiving, particularly for someone with little experience.

You might want to take the riders course or whatever they offer over there in Germany to get some experience and it will give you a chance to assess your skill set. I wanted a bigger bike before taking the BRC, but decided a smaller bike would a better fit while I ramped up my skill set. The bigger bikes will still be there when you're ready. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Well, I've heard it said that the most important thing your first bike should be able to do is....the ability to drop......meaning, you may not want a brand spanking new bike, because being brand new to the biking world, there is a high probability of dropping it. Even pros drop bikes, but the probability of it lowers as you gain experience.

I've dumped a bike twice learning how to ride. Not ashamed. I learned from it. I personally believe you gain alot more experience going small and working your way up the ladder.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Germany may have a tiered licensing system, so I would check on what's allowable as a first motorcycle before buying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts