Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I rode my CBR600RR to Orange Road to give the bike it's first ride on winding roads. I had fun, started to hate the bike, then had fun again and started to love the bike, then had running problems and started hating again....as of today, I still love the bike, but am having 2nd thoughts...

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Looks like a great road to get comfortable with the bike! Give yourself (and the bike) a bit of time. Looks like you did a great job of riding your own ride after meeting up with those guys and not pushing too hard to try to keep up. Well done! If your still not comfortable after 500 - 1000 miles (or kilo equivalent) then, yeah, might stick with the nakeds...

When I started riding a few years back (at age 49), I considered myself in decent shape but had spent decades lifting heavy weight without much aerobic/endurance training. I found out real quick that my core strength and flexibility were severely lacking! Sticking with the sport bike (Ninja 300 and F4i) has probably been the best thing for me because it motivated me to lose about 20 lbs and work on increasing my endurance and flexibility. Staying comfortable on the bike is pretty easy now as long as I take a break every hour or so...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I found on that ride is that my wrists ached after about an hour. No problems with my back or anything, but when trying to get my head around moving my butt off the seat and sticking my head out, it just didn't work. I have adjustable rear sets which has helped with my legs, but my upper body just feels weird. For the time being I ordered some 1" rise clip-ons and a taller screen to see if that helps.

I don't want to give up on the bike, but I'm thinking I should have bought an MT09 instead....

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Love seeing the country. Roads look good there too! Of course you got your butt handed to you, they're the locals. If I ever make it to The Tail Of The Dragon, I'm not even going to try to ride with those Tennessee boys. They'll show me how the cow ate the cabbage and not think twice about it.

Still, liked the video and will look forward to the next one.

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
What I found on that ride is that my wrists ached after about an hour.
I don't see how anyone can ride those bikes for very long.
I rode a friend's sportbike for about 10 minutes and my wrists
were already starting to bother me, and my neck was getting sore
from looking up to see where I was going.
On my Goldwing, I sit straight up and look straight forward.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I don't see how anyone can ride those bikes for very long.
I rode a friend's sportbike for about 10 minutes and my wrists
were already starting to bother me, and my neck was getting sore
from looking up to see where I was going.
On my Goldwing, I sit straight up and look straight forward.
It doesn't come naturally, that's for sure, and puts stress on a person's "core", leg, and neck muscles. I hated how weak and inflexible it made me feel at first (because I was in those areas) and strongly considered moving to a naked or sport touring bike for awhile. I am glad I stuck with it though as I feel more... um, sprightly, I'd say? I'm still no lightweight but losing 20 pounds and actively working on becoming more flexible has been good for my overall health!

I'm sure I'll be ready to move to a more comfortable riding style soon enough, so I want to keep the sport bike phase of my riding career going as long as possible!

Reactions: Retired Guy
1 - 7 of 7 Posts