Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a couple opinions.. I'm lookin to get a first bike and I've been leaning towards a sport model.. I dont like the "true" sport models because of the weight the "bent over" style puts on your wrists, I've been looking around for a bike to get that has a sport/touring style of riding (more upright) than a sport bike but with the power to be able to easily keep up with some of the sport bikes on the highway and around town. I've been looking into the GSX650F (really like the look and feel of the bike, never got to drive it..) and the SV650SF, I'm a relatively new rider with years of experience on riding four wheelers and a year or 2 experience on dirt bikes.. I'd mainly be riding to and from work (on the highway) around town, and for short trips out of town, some weekend rides here or there.. stuff like that.. some suggestions on the different bikes would be greatly appreciated.
- Robert

·
Exorcising My Angels
655 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The SV650SF, for a 2 cylinder, has a pretty sporty riding position. For a more sport touring kind of feel, I think the Ninja 650 or Ninja 500 is better. I actually went with 3" lower bars on my Ninja 650 because it was too upright for me. If you have a decent amount of dirt bike experience, you could also consider an inline 4 cylinder, which would include the Kawa ZZR600 or the Yamaha FZ6. I'm not too sure about the GSX650F, but the fact that it's almost 550 lbs. with the same engine as the SV makes me kind of wary. Of course, the extra weight will make you more stable on the highway, which is a plus if you plan on just doing pleasure cruising and don't plan on lots of tight twisties.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
The GSX650F does NOT have the same engine as the SV650. It is based on the Bandit 600 (which is now the Bandit 650) engine and is an inline-4.

I'd personally go with the SV650 over the GSX650F.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your opinions, I was looking at some of the Kawasaki ZZR600s that you were talking about, I've already ruled out the FZ6 by Yamaha because of the vibrations and other problems that I've heard about it.. if one came by one a good deal, doesnt mean I'd nessacarily pass it up though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts