Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a bike and for the most part have narrowed it down to two bikes. I'm looking for something that is good for starting out but will be something I can grow into as well. The two I'm looking at are:

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
2008 Honda Shadow Spirit 750C2

The dealers have quoted me on both bikes as total end costs:

Kawasaki (no extra's) $7950.00
Honda (with extra's) $7600.00

(Extra's: Mustang Seat, custom pegs & grips. Total value $550)

I like the price nd extra's of the Honda, just dont know if I'm going to be regretting the smaller engine. For driving in town and on the highway, which is a better bike, which is a better value, and why.

Thanks for the help.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Both bikes would make a good starter bike as long as you can handle the weight. I'm not sure which one is the smaller bike, but whichever is smaller/weighs less would probably be the best compromise between city riding and highway riding. The Honda is MORE than capable on the highway, so you just need to worry about low speed handling, which is generally easier with a lighter bike.

I'd recommend you look into buying a used bike first, though. Most new riders will drop their bike, and you are gonna hate yourself for dropping your new $7500+ bike. With a used $1750 bike, dropping it will be far less painful. And, if you get a 250, you can probably sell it next year for what you paid for it, or maybe even make a small profit.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Personally, I like the 900 Custom better. It just "feels" better balanced to me when I sit on it, compared to the Honda which felt a little top heavy. It's just my impression. Maybe in a year or so I'll move up to that 900 Custom if I feel the need to have more bike.
edit: Can't comment on the Mustang seat, tho they are a popular mod. I decided to start my riding career on the Kawi Vulcan 500.

·
Banned
919 Posts
I'm with Dustbuster for a few good reasons. The Vulcan is FI, has disc brakes both front and rear where the Honda does not. The Honda is shaft drive so any gearing changes are out. The Vulcan also uses a 180 rear tire as opposed to the 160 of the Honda and it is liquid cooled as opposed to air cooled. Beyond that, the Vulcan is very comfy and well suited to taller people. The Shadow is a bit tight for me at 6'2". The one bad thing for me in both cases is that rubber band they use for a front tire. Either bike is a reliable platform.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts