Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all. So I grew up riding dirt bikes and four wheelers, biggest I ever rode was a Honda CRF450 back in the day. I messed around with a MT-07 we just got in at the shop I work at and had a blast. Wanted to see what other people who’ve owned one thought of the MT-07. I’m also open to getting a super sport as a first bike, thinking mid weight so maybe a CBR600RR, ZX-6R, GSX-R600-750, or an R6. Wanted to get other opinions and see what other people did for first bike on the road.

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us😁

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,461 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Welcome! While your previous experience puts you higher on the scale than a complete newb, I'd strongly encourage starting on the MT-07 over a a 600cc+ sport bike.

My first year (and 6,000 miles) were spent on a Ninja 300 and I probably should've spent at least one more year on it before moving up. Learning correct body position, threshold braking, low speed maneuvers, etc. are just so much easier on a lighter bike that isn't constantly tempting you to twist the throttle.

Have you considered the Ninja 650 or 400?

Reactions: Crawsack

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome! Glad you're reaching out to ask advice. One thing I'd advise to start with is don't use displacement as the sole deciding factor on the power and skill level of a bike. There are a couple pretty distinct classes of motorcycle which all handle quite a bit differently and have different personalities:

600cc supersports: Yamaha R6, Suzuki GSX-R600, Honda CBR600RR, Kawasaki ZX-6R. These are race bikes that are street legal. They are fast as hell and made for the track. The riding position is aggressive with low handlebars, footpegs that are high and set back, and a high, forward arching seat. They're all designed for you to tuck behind the windscreen on fast straightaways and be positioned well to drag knee on corners. The suspension and brake components are all set up to be run on a track which means they're more robust than cruiser or other style bikes components. The engines are all inline 4-cylinder that redline at 14-15,000 RPM which is insanely high. Their power band is around 9-11,000 RPM. They don't have a ton of power at low RPM's compared to other motorcycles- they're designed to be operated at high RPM and aggressively which isn't always ideal for the street. The speeds they're the most fun at are usually illegal. They are not comfortable on long rides especially if you're tall.

However, they are really popular because people want to ride what they see the pros riding on TV. If it's good enough for Rossi it must be good enough for me. They also look awesome with aggressive styling and full fairings (I'm a fan of faired bikes, not everyone is). Riding one of these makes you feel almost superhuman with the acceleration, it is awesome.

650cc bikes: Kawasaki Ninja 650, Honda CBR650R,Suzuki SV650, Yamaha MT-07. The Kawasaki and Honda are faired bikes that look a lot like the 600cc supersports whereas the Suzuki and Yamaha are "naked" bikes (no fairings). These are usually parallel twin engine bikes (except the Honda is an inline-4) and do not have as much horsepower as 600cc supersports. They are tuned and set up for more torque at lower RPMs and are better set up for comfortable street riding with their ergonomics and cost less than 600cc supersports.

My suggestion would be to start with a 650cc bike and see how you like it. Starting with a 600cc bike is a lot to handle starting out, and they're not the most comfortable for just cruising around although you can do it, I've ridden my CBR600RR for 9 years now. I love my 600cc and now I'm used to it, but if I could go back I wish I hadn't started on such a high-strung machine.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,878 Posts
Welcome from Kansas!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts