Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i’m torn between two bikes a harley sportster iron 883 and a honda rebel 500. i’d like to hear some opinions about people have have ridden one of them. i’ve never ridden a bike and i’m 16

·
Registered
50 Posts
i’m torn between two bikes a harley sportster iron 883 and a honda rebel 500. i’d like to hear some opinions about people have have ridden one of them. i’ve never ridden a bike and i’m 16
I'm not a H-D fan, but they aren't bad bikes really, Just heavy. I haven't even seen a Rebel 500, so I can't offer advice on it other than it might be lighter than the H-D. Now what I can tell you is find a good small or mid sized bike like a Ninja 250 or 500, or something similar to use as your first bike. It will be a lot cheaper and you will more than likely drop it a few times while learning the mental skills and muscle memory required to ride a bike well. This wont hurt your ego and wallet as much, when you scratch or scrape a used bike as you would a brand new shiny one.

I almost forgot, take a riding course before you buy anything. You may find out that riding a M/C isn't your cup of tea.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry I just saw that this was the cruiser forum, so something like a used VStar 650 or Shadow 650 would be good learner bikes. Not too big, but more than enough power for highway time.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
If the Sportster is what you really want , go for it .. But will add it's not the easiest Ride to be learning on .. But was my First actual purchase of Rides Long Long Ago .. Just to give some perspective, know a few that started with a Sportster and Still Riding many years later .. Also know a few that started with a Sportster and ended up selling it and never riding again ..

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a Shadow 750..bought it during COVID so no MSF classes, mostly self taught. I think Honda is a great machine, established. Also 500 is perfect. A good beginner bike, not too heavy and you can ride it for a year or two and know what you like for your next bike. If there's an issue lots of people know how to work on them, lots of parts available.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This site requires you introduce yourself as one of your first few posts so people know you are serious and not a hit and run type poster. Introductions found here ... https://www.motorcycleforum.com/forums/new-member-introductions.305/
Go with the sportster. Great first bike. As much as I love my super glide, I miss the sportster at times. Depending on your riding style it will last you years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts