Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Commercial Truck Driver here:
On a limited budget, I'm looking to buy a used bike.
I havent ridden anything regularly besides a mountain bike over the past 40 years.
Due to cost considerations and Craigslist offerings in a 300 mile radius, its a toss-up between a 1985 Kawasaki 454 Ltd and a 1983 Honda 650 Nighthawk.
Both have similar miles, condition and importantly cost.
The Internet is great as there are so many very informed and experienced folks out there.
I wont be upgrading any time soon. I also dont do any two up stuff.
At 60 y/o I'm pretty much a one man band.
Are there any particular ideo-syncracies I should check for before buying either of these scooter???

1) espiritus 2) engineering 3) at 4) yahoo 5) dot 6) com

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
If at all possible, I'd suggest you take a basic riding course first. Sometimes people find they just aren't cut out for it. You might save some money or decide you'd rather start with something smaller like is highly suggested. Although your choices are in the acceptable range. But the BRC is a very good first step no matter what you get.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
If at all possible, I'd suggest you take a basic riding course first. Sometimes people find they just aren't cut out for it. You might save some money or decide you'd rather start with something smaller like is highly suggested. Although your choices are in the acceptable range. But the BRC is a very good first step no matter what you get.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1
Yep, I agree ,hogcowboy says it well.
Ed

·
Registered
809 Posts
Also be aware with bikes from the 1980s that you may need to be able to work on them yourself (or willing to spend LOTS of money), and parts may be difficult or near impossible to find.

·
Ace Tuner
2,936 Posts
Also be aware with bikes from the 1980s that you may need to be able to work on them yourself (or willing to spend LOTS of money), and parts may be difficult or near impossible to find.
^^^ Like rje58 said ^^^
LOTS of parts are discontinued for Japanese bikes that are more than about ten years old. A lot of shops won't touch em because of that.
Electrical failures can make the bike not fixable at any price. (Used electrical parts from eBay can not be counted on due to age).
I loved my KZ650 but got tired of overhauling the discontinued main wire harness every few years.

If you can find something only 6~8 years old your budget will be much better of in the long run. :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts