Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
So I'm a new rider, I took the MSF course and have my license. I know the best choice in a normal situation for a rider would be to get a 250cc and work your way up. However, I am 6'5 and 230 pounds, so a 250cc bike really isn't an option for me (Even my msf instructor recommended getting at the very least a 500 but probably a 600). So my question is not should I get a high powered bike (yes I know in a normal situation common responses would include " A new rider getting a 600 is an accident waiting to happen" "Getting a 600, dont be a squid bro" or " GET A 250!") my question is: For a beginner my size, what 600cc + sports bike would be the best option? (Bikes I've looked at prior are the Sv650, cbr 600rr, and if I was to be insanely carefull, the R1.) Any suggestions would be appriciated. :D

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

I don't know all the bikes that might be good for you, but I have some other advice. Just because some riders feel they must start real, real small and then work up to something bigger, doesn't mean that's for everybody.

The control of the bike is in your right hand. If you can hold the bike up, and you don't feel overwhelmed by the physical size, then that's all that's important. You'll need to sit on a bunch to see what feels right for you. We're all different. The only suggestion I would make is to look at a used one for sure as it's not likely going to be your last one anyway. Then in a year or two you can move on to one that has more of what you desire.

In my case, I liked my recent bike so much, I purchased another just like it. Even same color!

--

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Keep in mind that engine size means little when it comes to bigger bikes. Simply saying to find a 600cc bike leaves a lot of options on the table, that are vastly different in riding ease. A 600cc supersport bike will crush my nearly 1600cc touring bike in engine performance. But this big touring bike is infinitely easier to ride than my old GSX-R750.

And don't rule out some of those smaller displacement bikes. I'm 6'6", and before my recent weight loss I was 280lbs. My XT350 carries my big ass easily. That said, my first road bike was a 1200 Sportster.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I am 6'3" and 240, l bought an SV650 last year when l got back on the horse. I hadn't ridden in some 20 years on the street, but had lots of experience riding in the dirt, quads, etc. So it probably isn't a fair comparison...but FWIW, it was a good bike to get back on the horse, pretty forgiving and easy to ride. It handled like a dream and was easy to sling around because it was very light.

All things considered, the SV or a Ninja 650 is a much better choice than an inline 4. The physical size of the bikes is very similar, so there is no reason to buy the more powerful bike, IMO.

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
If I was your height, I'd get an adventure style bike like the Versys 650 or V-Strom 650. They have essentially the same engine and frame as the Ninja 650 and SV650, but with better ergos for tall people.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I agree that the Vstrom 650 is a good choice - you might want to look at the Honda NC700X, too. I bought an SFV650, because I'm only 5'8 and the seat on the NC700X is a couple of inches taller than the Suzuki. But if I were tall enough for the NC700X to fit me, it would have been a much tougher decision.

If I was your height, I'd get an adventure style bike like the Versys 650 or V-Strom 650. They have essentially the same engine and frame as the Ninja 650 and SV650, but with better ergos for tall people.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with the adventure style as well. Most sports bikes are going to feel small to you at 6'5".

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Not a bad suggestion. From what l understand the motor on the V-Strom is very much detuned as well, and much less powerful

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
Like velisoped said, just about ANY sport bike is going to feel pretty tiny to you at your height. (And no amount of being careful will make an R1 an acceptable first choice.) Your a tall guy, so finding a bike that physically fits you may be a bit more difficult, especially if you aren't interested in dual sports/etc.

Now, if we're talking about engine performance vs your weight, I started on a Suzuki GZ250 and weight ~280 lbs. It hauled me along acceptably, but couldn't do interstate speeds with a rider of any weight. Anything up to 600cc in a non-sport bike will do just fine. I still don't believe ANY supersport is a good bike to learn on, but there are plenty of other sporty bikes that would, like the SV650, or Bandit 600.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Like velisoped said, just about ANY sport bike is going to feel pretty tiny to you at your height. (And no amount of being careful will make an R1 an acceptable first choice.) Your a tall guy, so finding a bike that physically fits you may be a bit more difficult, especially if you aren't interested in dual sports/etc.

Now, if we're talking about engine performance vs your weight, I started on a Suzuki GZ250 and weight ~280 lbs. It hauled me along acceptably, but couldn't do interstate speeds with a rider of any weight. Anything up to 600cc in a non-sport bike will do just fine. I still don't believe ANY supersport is a good bike to learn on, but there are plenty of other sporty bikes that would, like the SV650, or Bandit 600.
Oh yeah, the Bandit. A Katana wouldn't be horrible either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear people!

I have kinda the same question: I'm 6'7", 243 pounds and total beginner, AND I'm going for a chopper. A smaller one, which is normally recommended for beginners is simply not my size, but a bigger one is not recommended for a beginner.

I'm not for speeding, but for nice, comfortable rides on the highways. I'm also doing sports (basket, boxing and stuff) for decades, so I dare to think I could manage a bigger bike (like a Yamaha XVS1100, which I like pretty much). But safety comes first! (and many of my friends told me to forget about it as first bike.)

What do you guys think? Which bike might be the best choice, which is good for long, comfortable rides for a 6'7" beginner and is also easy to handle?

All opinions are warmly welcome. Thank you!

David

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
You're just going to have to sit on all the different bikes and decide what you like. As I stated earlier, I am 6'6", I had no real problem riding my GSX-R750. I never felt overly cramped. I used to take day long rides on it. Yes, a standard or adventure type bike will feel bigger and roomier, but don't rule out other style bikes based on other's opinions. Wait until you rule them out yourself.

I do agree that a super sport bike is not a good starter bike based on the type of engine power they make.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're just going to have to sit on all the different bikes and decide what you like. As I stated earlier, I am 6'6", I had no real problem riding my GSX-R750. I never felt overly cramped. I used to take day long rides on it. Yes, a standard or adventure type bike will feel bigger and roomier, but don't rule out other style bikes based on other's opinions. Wait until you rule them out yourself.

I do agree that a super sport bike is not a good starter bike based on the type of engine power they make.
Thank you for your advise! I'm a guy who only seeks the joy of riding at 50-60 mph, without much speeding. I mean a sport, or supersport type is just not mine, I feel myself familiar with the choppers even for the first sight.

If chopper, I have to find those, who are comfortable even for the long run, but also easy to drive. My problem is that with big bikes often come heavy weight and a lot of cc's, which are said clearly not for newcomers.

A Suzuki C50 Boss is told to be for the tall ones, it's 800cc. So is a Vulcan 900 Custom. Do you think these are for beginners? If you have others in mind, let me know.

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts