Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first available MRC that I can take is in April so I have some time to figure this out. My original plan was to take the course and then pick up a V-star 250 to start with. After a year I was planning on getting the Suzuki S-40 cuz I really like it. I have recently sat on the 250 and it is too small. It will probably be just right for the class but not for riding. Would the S-40 be too much bike for a complete beginner that has never ridden a bike? I am 5'10 and 205 pounds.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
They are pretty light and small-framed as far as motorcycles go. The S-40 is about 380 pounds full of fuel and oil.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh ok. That's good to know. I have looked at a lot of bikes online and in the showroom but never really thought about asking about the actual weight. The S-40 has enough power for the highway as well? I'm not looking to go cross country but 55-60 hwy speed...once I learn how to stop from faster speeds that is.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
It handles highways speeds fairly well for a bike it's size. I've rode most of the day on it at times, with a few butt breaks, but I don't know how it would be for long haul, as I haven't been out of state with it yet.

The first time on my 96 Savage, which is basically the same as the S-40 with a name change, I was intimidated by the size a bit. But after figuring out how to get her rolling and stopped, it seemed to be the perfect size/weight/height for a beginner.

The only disadvantage I have found with the bike is the small gas tank and no fuel gauge. I just fuel up every 100 miles so I don't forget. Towards the end of my first season on it, I was wishing it had highway pegs, cause I kept wanting to stretch my legs out on the long rides. (not in city traffic). But I plan on putting the engine quard/highway bar on, and I will chose one that has the pegs if I can find it.

I really recommend the S-40 or even the older Savages.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tarheel boy, hopefully this is not considered infringement on your thread, I am new to the thread and hope to learn from everyone! I was wondering if we could extend the dialogue to other types of bikes. considering a first bike and was pricing several on craigslist. I am not particularly interested in sportbikes. I found a 96 HD 883 with like 47k miles for 3000 bucks near me. is this too much bike for a first bike? what do you all think? Thanks!

·
Registered
633 Posts
what do you all think?
I think most here would advise before spending any money on a bike, to take the Basic Riders Course. That will give you a chance to assess your skill level in a safe environment. There's a lot to riding a motorcycle that just can't learn anywhere, but on a bike. Some people have a lot of confidence or previous dirt experience and are better candidates to start on a larger bike, but if you're a new rider with no experience, a smaller bike is likely a better option. A smaller bike is more nimble, giving them a larger margin for error for the mistakes that will inevitably happen than a big heavy bike.

For me, the BRC pretty much confirmed what I already new, that I wasn't very confident and a smaller bike was a better learning tool while I ramp up my skill set, so I bought a TU250x and have been pretty happy with it. The larger bikes will still be there if and when I decide to upgrade. The S40 is similarly light, but offers twice the HP, so perhaps it's a good tweener for you. Light enough to handle, but enough power to do what you want until you're ready to move up. I don't know what you're looking to spend or where you're at, but there's a few dealers around here selling new old stock 2012 S40s for $4k. Plus, a new bike has a warranty while you sort things out. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The biggest mistake many people make when first learning is improper wrist placement with the throttle hand. (I know, I'm not making much sense, out of coffee) The S40 is not going to go from 0 to 60 if you accidently twerk the throttle. Some of the bigger bikes you do that with, and ya, you might find yourself knee deep in doggy doo.

Edited to add: Make sure you pay attention in the BRC to proper hand placement, because even though the S40 won't go from 0-60, even a slight throttle slip could cause trouble if done in heavy traffic or other similar instances.

I think its best, even after taking the BRC, to really get to know the bike and it's limitations before you even venture out into traffic. Drive around in some neighborhoods that don't get alot of traffic. Find an empty parking lot and practice swerving, emergency braking and everything you learn at BRC. I'll be starting my second season of riding this year, and the first place I'm hitting is the parking lot so I can refamiliarize myself with my bike.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Tarheel boy, hopefully this is not considered infringement on your thread, I am new to the thread and hope to learn from everyone! I was wondering if we could extend the dialogue to other types of bikes. considering a first bike and was pricing several on craigslist. I am not particularly interested in sportbikes. I found a 96 HD 883 with like 47k miles for 3000 bucks near me. is this too much bike for a first bike? what do you all think? Thanks!
Reet, not to sound rude or anything, I think it may be best to start a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a bit about yourself. You would be more likely to get more information and not get the topics confused. (or us getting confused, which is easy to do!!) Welcome aboard!!!!

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
The biggest mistake many people make when first learning is improper wrist placement with the throttle hand.
I've seen this even with riders who have some experience. It is especially dangerous for those that are first starting out though. Even a small motorcycle can go wildly out of control if the wrist is too high when something goes wrong. I've seen some spectacular unintentional wheelies (which become crashes) from 200 CC motorcycles with this as a main cause.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I knew you two would point me in the right direction. The S-40 was going to be my middle upgrade bike but now I am convinced to start out on it. I have now worked a deal with my job to take off the weekend of the first class so now I get to go in March so that's exciting. Zippy I like your idea of riding in parking lots and neighborhoods before venturing into traffic. At 43 I'd like my skin to stay where it is.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I knew you two would point me in the right direction. The S-40 was going to be my middle upgrade bike but now I am convinced to start out on it. I have now worked a deal with my job to take off the weekend of the first class so now I get to go in March so that's exciting. Zippy I like your idea of riding in parking lots and neighborhoods before venturing into traffic. At 43 I'd like my skin to stay where it is.
Very cool! Now to get your gear...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Leather.

Mech gloves won't do much for you if you're grabbing handfuls of asphalt.
I can certainly see how that could be true. I have a hard time finding leather gloves that fit well. I have severely short fingers due to only having one joint in each (mom was a partier). But I'm sure I can find something on the good ole interweb.

·
American Legion Rider
21,771 Posts
Any shoe cobbler can turn them inside out, stitch the ends, cut off the excess turn them back around and you are in business too.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts